• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator 10K

Jeff and/or Groundhog, could either of you get me the precise dimensions of the single coil Predator?

I won't to try and model it on a 4-element ground plane similar to the Starduster.

I need the exposed lengths and diameters in inches for the parts (maybe 5 elements) including the coil diameter (beginning to end), tubing diameter, and insulator length.

Plus, the overall length of the whole antenna at tune.

73's and God Bless,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa on his radio.
7-1/2 Coils
Coil Diameter: 3.100" (call it 3")
Coil Tube Diameter: 0.250" (1/4")
Coil Length: 6.875" (6-7/8")
Insulator Length: 7.000" (7")
This is the best I can provide because my antennas have been disassembled and stingers removed.

That great Jeff and 2012. :)

Thanks,

Eddie
Each end / tip of the coil inserts into the side of the insulator.
There is one-half of a coil at the beginning and one-half at the end. I started counting the coils from where the end / tip of the coil is inserted into the insulator.
Also, the 3" diameter is the "outside" diameter of the coil. I used a dial caliper to measure and record all dimensions.

Jeff and/or Groundhog, could either of you get me the precise dimensions of the single coil Predator?

I won't to try and model it on a 4-element ground plane similar to the Starduster.

I need the exposed lengths and diameters in inches for the parts (maybe 5 elements) including the coil diameter (beginning to end), tubing diameter, and insulator length.

Plus, the overall length of the whole antenna at tune.

73's and God Bless,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa on his radio.
I assembled my Predator and maybe this will provide you with an idea to start your model.
With the 27" shaft, total length is 70-1/2".

Reactions: Marconi
I assembled my Predator and maybe this will provide you with an idea to start your model.
With the 27" shaft, total length is 70-1/2".
Thank you, thank you, this is great brother Recon.

I may have to get back if I have questions, OK?

I plan to post this model, if I can get it to tune close.

I will also be placing this antenna over a Starduster type ground plane...with 4 radials slanted down at some degree.

I may even see if I can get it on a model or two, as well.

Give me something to do.:)

Thaks and 73's to you too Brother Recon,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa 39zero on his radio.

Thank you, thank you, this is great brother Recon.

I may have to get back if I have questions, OK?

I plan to post this model, if I can get it to tune close.

I will also be placing this antenna over a Starduster type ground plane...with 4 radials slanted down at some degree.

I may even see if I can get it on a model or two, as well.

Give me something to do.:)

Thaks and 73's to you too Brother Recon,

Eddie - Marconi - Grampa 39zero on his radio.
No problem and your welcome! I know what it's like to be on a mission. Ha! Ha!
Something to consider when calculating for your model using the measurements I provided.
1. The 70-1/2" length includes the 1/4" long X 3/8" threaded stud at the bottom of the 27" shaft. Maybe the 1/4" (0.250") shouldn't be included in your calculations for the model. Total length would be 70-1/4".
2. In my application, the antenna is attached to; Breedlove #209 Pedestal Mount, #910 Stake Pocket Bracket and #203 Quick Disconnect Coupling. Total length of 3-7/8". Being that the coax connects to the bottom of the Pedestal Mount. Should the 3-7/8" be included with the 70-1/4" length of the antenna?

Recon. thanks for the heads-up, but I need more.

1. Figure the bottom tube L" is from the base tube without including the connecting bolt & threads. I need the 27" tube D" length as well.

2. L" for space between the coils, center to center of wire. I also need the end L" for the 2 end coil sections connecting to the insulator.

3. L" and D" for the top stinger.

I will attempt to tune by adjusting the stinger length, but I think the accuracy of coil dimensions will be the most important L" - D" - S"

73's and Thanks.

Marconi

Last edited:
Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012

1. Figure the bottom tube L" is from the base tube without including the connecting bolt & threads. I need the tube D" length as well.

2. L" for space between the coils, center to center of wire. I also need the end L" for the 2 end coil sections connecting to the insulator.

I will attempt to tune by adjusting the stinger length, but I think the accuracy of coil dimensions will be the most important L" - D" - S"

73's and Thanks.

Marconi
Are you referring to where the ends of the coil are bent to where they pass through the insulator and make contact to the shaft? Just about 7/8".
Spacing between coils: 0.550" - 0.600".
Center-to-center of coil wire: Average; 0.800".
NOTE: The coils are not exactly equal but very close and that is why the 0.800" is an average.
Length of stinger: 36-3/16" to top of corona ball.
Diameter of stinger: 0.150".
Base Tube Length without threaded area: 26".
Total length: 27".
Top Tube Length without threaded area: 7-7/8".
Total length: 8-5/16".
Length of insulator: 7".
Have I missed something?
My shoe size: 9-1/2 EEE.

1. Figure the bottom tube L" is from the base tube without including the connecting bolt & threads. I need the 27" tube D" length as well.

73's and Thanks.

Marconi
PS: Outside Diameter of top and bottom shafts: 0.875" / 7/8".

Reactions: Groundhog KSS-2012
Image of the Preditor 10K: Click link below and the image will allow you to print it out if you want to use it to note the antenna dimensions:

Recon, I think the image above is an image of the Predator 10K, and I now realize the antenna comes in many parts. Try printing this image and then give me your dimensions Length x Diameter, Space between coils, and the length for the coil ends.

I need only exposed dimensions.

Please list these dimensions like a parts list, similar to what you've already done in post #67, above.

Thanks, and sorry for my not being more clear.

like a parts list.

73's
Marconi

Last edited:
Image of the Preditor 10K: Click link below and the image will allow you to print it out if you want to use it to note the antenna dimensions:

Recon, I think the image above is an image of the Predator 10K, and I now realize the antenna comes in many parts. Try printing this image and then give me your dimensions Length x Diameter, Space between coils, and the length for the coil ends.

I need only exposed dimensions.

Please list these dimensions like a parts list, similar to what you've already done in post #67, above.

Thanks, and sorry for my not being more clear.

like a parts list.

73's
Marconi
The Predator has five components. There are several lengths of the bottom shafts available from nine-inches to twenty-seven-inches.
Bottom Shaft
Insulator
Top Shaft
Coil
Stinger

Thanks Recon,

I think I've got all the dimensions you posted figured out as best I can, but the overall length does not figure-out to be the same as your note for overall length of 70.25" L", even without the stud threaded at the bottom and the mount.

Recon, the coil dimensions are most important to the matching of this shortened antenna and the dimensions don't seem to me to figure out either when I try and add the dimensions together.

This said, the pictures below seems to be showing me 6.5 coils in loops, and you show the space between each loops as 0.55" - 0.60". So, I averaged the space to 0.575" x 6.5 wire loops = 3.74" for the coil height (L").

The little part in the tube in image #2 - L" should be added to the top tube l"as well.

When I add the L" for the base tube, the insulator, the top tube, the stinger, and the mount...I get 80.975" overall height.

36.1875"
7.875"
7"
26"
3.875"
_________
80.9375"

When I add the dimensions for the coil together, I get

6.5 Loops x 0.575" = 3.7575" for the overall height of the coil. The coil wires need to be measured center of the wire loop to the center of the next wire loop, and with close to 7" in L" for the insulator...the coil spacing should be close to 1" or more to make the coil length (height) a bit less than the insulator at 7". I figure the coil ends are approximately 0.25" inside of the 2 ends of the insulator.

I also need you to confirm that the bottom 27" tube and top tube 7.875" are 0.375" in diameter D", and I assume the insulator is also 0.375" diameter too.

But I could be wrong here, because I've never seen a Predator antenna up close. So, I'm still left guessing.

Thanks Recon. I'm sorry this has been so prolonged, but getting good dimensions is hard work.

73's

Marconi 39zero

Attachments

• Predator2010K206[1].jpg
    Predator2010K206[1].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Predator2010K2010[1].jpg
    Predator2010K2010[1].jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Predator2010K2012[1].jpg
    Predator2010K2012[1].jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The Predator has five components. There are several lengths of the bottom shafts available from nine-inches to twenty-seven-inches.
Bottom Shaft
Insulator
Top Shaft
Coil
Stinger
Recon, try adding-up the L" for the list you posted above...except leave the Coil out, because it's length L" is covered by the insulator L" = 7".

Eddie

Thanks Recon,

I think I've got all the dimensions you posted figured out as best I can, but the overall length does not figure-out to be the same as your note for overall length of 70.25" L", even without the stud threaded at the bottom and the mount.

Recon, the coil dimensions are most important to the matching of this shortened antenna and the dimensions don't seem to me to figure out either when I try and add the dimensions together.

This said, the pictures below seems to be showing me 6.5 coils in loops, and you show the space between each loops as 0.55" - 0.60". So, I averaged the space to 0.575" x 6.5 wire loops = 3.74" for the coil height (L").

The little part in the tube in image #2 - L" should be added to the top tube l"as well.

When I add the L" for the base tube, the insulator, the top tube, the stinger, and the mount...I get 80.975" overall height.

36.1875"
7.875"
7"
26"
3.875"
_________
80.9375"

6.5 Loops x 0.575" = 3.7575" for the overall height of the coil. The coil wires need to be measured center of the wire loop to the center of the next wire loop, and with close to 7" in L" for the insulator...the coil spacing should be close to 1" or more to make the coil length (height) a bit less than the insulator at 7". I figure the coil ends are approximately 0.25" inside of the 2 ends of the insulator.

I also need you to confirm that the bottom 27" tube and top tube 7.875" are 0.375" in diameter D", and I assume the insulator is also 0.375" diameter too.

But I could be wrong here, because I've never seen a Predator antenna up close. So, I'm still left guessing.

Thanks Recon. I'm sorry this has been so prolonged, but getting good dimensions is hard work.

73's

Marconi 39zero
I provided individual piece-by-piece measurements prior to assembly.
"The stinger slides into the top shaft and is bottomed out."
The total overall length of the antenna with the "stinger inserted into the top shaft" is 71", not including the threaded stud. My previous total overall length of 70-1/4" was incorrect.
NOTE: The temperature was twenty-seven degrees in my garage when I assembled the antenna.
Are you trying to calculate the length of the coil wire prior to the coil being formed?

Recon, try adding-up the L" for the list you posted above...except leave the Coil out, because it's length L" is covered by the insulator L" = 7".

Eddie
Look closer. The insulator is longer than the coil.

Eddie

Thanks Recon,

36.1875"
7.875"
7"
26"
3.875"
_________
80.9375"

73's

Marconi 39zero
Thanks Recon,

36.1875"
7.875"
7"
26"
3.875"
_________
80.9375"

73's

Marconi 39zero
Yes! The image you posted has 6.5 loops.
Maybe the image is of a dual-coil antenna because they have a 6.5 loop coil.
My single-coil antenna has 7.5 loops.
I don't know what else to tell you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.