• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator Freedom 1-K Antenna

Apr 2, 2010
I have been a loyal 102" stainless steel whip user for years. Simply because this old time classic has what it takes. Well I have a customized truck and it was time for a change. Went with the Predator 10-K with a 22" shaft. Now that antenna compared very well to my 102's. I expressed for something different once again and got it. Kale Cavel of Cowtown Antennas let me know what some of the guys were doing in the past. Well to make a long story short Kale made a 7/8"X36" aluminum shaft. Then I was to cut and tune from a 102" whip. In the end resulting with an antenna that tunes well, firmer stance especially at highway speeds, extremely low refective SWR, pleasing overall appearence and awesome performance. When doing a swap in and out test between the standard 102" and the Predator Freedom 1-K I noticed that the antenna with a combo aluminum/stainless steel did better on the swing. Kale told me He don`t know why, but for some reason, if you put a whip inside a tube it works better.I have no antenna anaylzer but done several usage tests. Well with a K40 heavy duty stud mount with a brass center, custom bed rail L-bracket and 21' of Belden RG-8/U coax with silver plated teflon insulation PL-259's this set up provides the best performance. I found the performance range is 25-35 air miles. Have not had a chance yet to test it during DX conditions. Have a pretty near 1.1:1 match and pretty happy with this antenna. Below are some pictures and I welcome any comments. Remember I am still learning about antennas of this caliper.

100_8110.jpg

100_8112.jpg

100_8126.jpg

Antennas.jpg

When doing a swap in and out test between the standard 102" and the Predator Freedom 1-K I noticed that the antenna with a combo aluminum/stainless steel did better on the swing. Kale told me He don`t know why, but for some reason, if you put a whip inside a tube it works better I have no antenna anaylzer but done several usage tests.

alrighty...

Aren't you the guy that received that chinese antenna from Sparky in exchange for a bogus review that you later decided might not have been a great idea?

Bulldog did a review a few months ago on a Tram antenna that visually looks very similar to Kales 10K , but it is not a modular design and doesnt have the lifetime warranty the 10k's have . i did not find his review to be in any way bogus myself . i did make some negative comments about tram visually copying kales look (yes im a 10K fanboy) as did some others . but truth be told , Kale didnt invent the external coil CB antenna , but i believe he makes at least one of the best (if not the best) versions around . me (and some others) felt it was in bad taste and kinda felt they were trying to snatch up sales from a very respected person in very bad health and i know for myself it instantly put a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak) about the antenna . call it brand loyalty or being a fan boy or a nuthugger LOL . we all like what we like and who we like , but none of that had to do with the actual tx and rx of the antenna .

anyhow , Bulldogs' review was based on his experiencs and results on his vehicle as a typical end user , not as a technican with millions of dollars of measuring equipment in a flat desolate area . he didnt make extravagant claims of one over the other and in fact said they were pretty similar performance wise , if i recall correctly . Bulldog has never shared a review and suggested in any way that his results were difinitive or anything other than his own experiences .

ive found both GLR's and Buldogs post very informative over the years and i respect both of them . but bogus is not at all a word i would use to describe the review . and i think the biggest part of the backlash was due to the timing of the release of the antenna . it was shortly after kale had some very serious medical issues and quite frankly i (me myself) kind felt like the antenna probally came into being by Tram trying to jump on the band wagon of what they felt was a dying person by making a visual clone of his antenna and take his market place figguring hed be gone by the time it was released .

NONE OF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH BULLDOG OR HIS REVIEW !

BOOTY MONSTERS response is understood. I was simply asking a question based on the story as it was told to me, I have no dog in this fight.

oh but BOOTY MONSTER I know you are interested in antenna theory, design, claims, etc so what are your thoughts on this one:

When doing a swap in and out test between the standard 102" and the Predator Freedom 1-K I noticed that the antenna with a combo aluminum/stainless steel did better on the swing. Kale told me He don`t know why, but for some reason, if you put a whip inside a tube it works betterI have no antenna anaylzer but done several usage tests.

thanks GLR i dont have a dog in it either , was just offering my opinion of what happened . and i didnt at all think you were looking for a fight . you and me are alike in that were not afraid to ask questions , but sometimes our questions arnt ...... ummmmm ... shall we say ..... they arnt appreciated much . LOL . if the antenna hadnt had such a striking resemblance to Kales product that it would have been very well recieved as a very inexpensive and well performing antenna . that i recall .... no one had any issues with bulldogs tx and rx results , its just that Kale is much respected and some of us (or at least me) felt Tram had a serious lack of ruth in the matter . but money is money and it makes the world go round .

"I noticed that the antenna with a combo aluminum/stainless steel did better on the swing."

i know that most meters just react to whats on the other end of the coax (and the coax if its dammaged or not assembled correctly) and that when you change whats on the other end what the meter will show will change too . considering you have to double power to start to tell a small difference on the other end id thing what ever little extra swing the meter showed had no detectable difference on the recieved end .

also both of the antennas are aluminium and stainless steel . the lower sections on each are aluminium and the stingers are stainless steel .

whats you opinion of BD's quote you asked me about GLR ?

PS , my take on the subject may be different than Bulldogs as we each have our own perspective that we see things from .

Bulldog did a review a few months ago on a Tram antenna that visually looks very similar to Kales 10K , but it is not a modular design and doesnt have the lifetime warranty the 10k's have . i did not find his review to be in any way bogus myself . i did make some negative comments about tram visually copying kales look (yes im a 10K fanboy) as did some others . but truth be told , Kale didnt invent the external coil CB antenna , but i believe he makes at least one of the best (if not the best) versions around . me (and some others) felt it was in bad taste and kinda felt they were trying to snatch up sales from a very respected person in very bad health and i know for myself it instantly put a bad taste in my mouth (so to speak) about the antenna . call it brand loyalty or being a fan boy or a nuthugger LOL . we all like what we like and who we like , but none of that had to do with the actual tx and rx of the antenna .

anyhow , Bulldogs' review was based on his experiencs and results on his vehicle as a typical end user , not as a technican with millions of dollars of measuring equipment in a flat desolate area . he didnt make extravagant claims of one over the other and in fact said they were pretty similar performance wise , if i recall correctly . Bulldog has never shared a review and suggested in any way that his results were difinitive or anything other than his own experiences .

ive found both GLR's and Buldogs post very informative over the years and i respect both of them . but bogus is not at all a word i would use to describe the review . and i think the biggest part of the backlash was due to the timing of the release of the antenna . it was shortly after kale had some very serious medical issues and quite frankly i (me myself) kind felt like the antenna probally came into being by Tram trying to jump on the band wagon of what they felt was a dying person by making a visual clone of his antenna and take his market place figguring hed be gone by the time it was released .

NONE OF THAT HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH BULLDOG OR HIS REVIEW !
Maybe entertaining but informative is a stretch, don't get me wrong I enjoy GLR'S sharp poking stick approach to calling guys on different topics but he is far from what one would call HELPFUL.

GLR doesnt seem to believe in taking any prisoners and shoots from the hip ;)

I stand behind my reviews! Just a regular guy with years of experience displaying reviews with pictures and sometimes a video. To be honest it is not easy doing these. But in one way it is because all about being honest and truthful. My reviews are done at my own free will 95% of the time and others by special request. I am here because of the experienced users and operators. Nobody in this hobby is completely experienced. Even in your lifetime you have only learned what you have done. Enjoy doing reviews for the guy or gal needing that extra info. The internet allows us to help others. I love making Videos of myself and my stuff and posting it on You Tube.

The Tram Aluminum Coil Antenna was my hottest review! It was a copy of the Predator 10-K. I had both of them and tested the heck out of them. Compared materials and how they reacted to the environment. So from begining to end there were additions to the information. My final review between the two are as follows. Tram has copied the Predator 10-K to a point. The aluminum was treated differently and is subjected to frost greater than the Predator. I project that anyone who owns a Tram will enjoy using it unit the plastic insulator starts to cracks due to the extreme heat & cold. Then the coil will loosen up. To replace that the whole antenna will have to be replaced. The Predator has a lifetime warranty. So for a guy on a budget the Tram may seem a good deal until the antenna begins to fall apart. Deal or no deal these are the facts. It takes time to get and learn the facts. The whip and allen set screw will sieze up in time because there is not substance used. With all Predator 10-K a quality anti-sieze is used to ensure long life.

Even though I have little Knowledge about antennas,I Feel I have a good amount of experience but there is a lot more to learn. So I invite you to follow my You Tube Videos on radio communications. Thanks for the welcome and take care, 73's...Bulldog

That why he's adored by all. :D

im a fan of the man , hehe '

and thanks for the update bulldog . i hadnt seen those comments befor .
so after a year or 2 the 10K is cheaper .

getting back to the origional topic .....
any idea if kale could make something like that thats only about 12 inches high ?
can you tell what the cost of the 3 footer you have is ? similar spacers have been $60+ not including s&h . the 3 footer looks fine for a bed mounted antenna though .

Believe it or not...Tram introducing their version of Kales Predator 10K was a Good Deal for Kale!

After the thing hit the market, and all the "Whop-La" hit the Forums about it...Kale's order's for the Original Predator's started going threw the roof!

Within two week's of that Tram being on the market, Kale was flooded with New order's for 10K's...And is still running behind trying to get caught up on orders.

Funny thing now is, I haven't seen any shop listing the Tram for sale any where...Even Sparkys does not have it listed anymore...:D:pop:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.