• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Predator screwdriver antennas

blood

Nov 14, 2011
I have a predator screwdriver antenna but the motor die and the company sold out to a guy in Texas and the original owner gave me a number for the new owner who I called but the guy doesn't seem to be a good support person. I was trying to get a motor and some information on how to repair the antenna but no luck. Anyone with some information. Please inbox me. I love that antenna. I talked in New Zealand and Australia like around the corner and hear things some base stations cannot hear.

Will a different motor fit? Maybe one from a Tarheel antenna or something? Never heard of a predator screwdriver antenna. Care to post some pics of it. Just curious as to how it looks. And good luck getting a replacement. Member JJD knows a lot about these antennas I believe and might be able to help you out. Note I said "might". Good luck finding what you need. Have a good one.

You might try Larry KJ7U...Larry's antennas...similar construction and design...
Otherwise the Pedator is a lost Gem of antennas...
I believe the original Ham that made those was from Indiana and is now SK.
Either way going to be tough to find parts...you might have to send it to Larry and see if he can retro a new motor and drive assembly in the shaft.
GL
All the Best
Gary

http://www.kj7u.com/

Reactions: 222DBFL
Will a different motor fit? Maybe one from a Tarheel antenna or something? Never heard of a predator screwdriver antenna. Care to post some pics of it. Just curious as to how it looks. And good luck getting a replacement. Member JJD knows a lot about these antennas I believe and might be able to help you out. Note I said "might". Good luck finding what you need. Have a good one.
Different Predator...Not the 10K antenna's...

Never heard of a predator screwdriver antenna.

Here is 2 pics of one of my ham buddies with a Predator antenna. You can see these are very large antennas. The one on his camper is really huge!

0330170801.jpg

0330170731.jpg

Whoa. That is a large antenna Fourstringburn!!
And JJD sorry for the misinformation.
Never seen one of those before, that is for sure!!! Sorry couldn't be of more help to the poster. Not my intention to give out bad info!! Good day to all.

Big antenna's mounted very inefficiently due to their size.
Not so much if you are referring to the pics I posted.

The long one on the camper is fine since the lower part of the antenna is next to the fiberglass portion of the camper.

The pickup truck is typically in-line where a lot of people mount there large mobile screwdriver antennas at the bumper hitch. Even still, a lot of that antenna is above the bed and roof line.

But what you are referring to is correct, that is the feed point on these antennas are close to the ground and it's always best to get the feed point as high as possible.

Like most mobile antennas, there is a trade off between large antennas having better efficiency over smaller ones and also covering the 160 meter band (not something I care for ) or smaller ones usually mounted higher but needing more loading coil for tuning.

Ideally a great mobile install would be a 3 ft. screwdriver antenna in the center of a truck bed with a 3 ft. mast and capacity hat. Not all of us can do that.

Reactions: Slowmover
I have a predator screwdriver antenna but the motor die and the company sold out to a guy in Texas and the original owner gave me a number for the new owner who I called but the guy doesn't seem to be a good support person. I was trying to get a motor and some information on how to repair the antenna but no luck. Anyone with some information. Please inbox me. I love that antenna. I talked in New Zealand and Australia like around the corner and hear things some base stations cannot hear.
Thanks guys especially 222DBFL for posting the pictures. I got off work 4:30am and I took the antenna apart and I found a old Pitman motor in the shack which had some life and I hooked it and wired it in the antenna. I put antenna together and it matches 1to1 on 75 meter right to 12 and 1.5 on 10m. I did see a little floatation at 40 and 20 but I was in my driveway. Enough stuff to cause conflicts plus my base antenna so when I get in the clear I will recheck it. Thanks again guys and I spoke to Robert Atkins the founder of the antenna on Thursday and yes he is ritired and was fishing on Lake Erie. He did sold the business to a fellow in Texas who I did call and I don't have to call him again. He is a difficult person. Guys it is a great antenna and if you are a ham and don't mind the size and you see one for sale grab it. I get accused of running illegal watts with a Kenwood 480HX all the time even in Russia.

That wasn't me that posted the pics. Thank Fourstringburn for that!! I have never even see one of those antennas!! At any rate, hope you get it resolved man.

Reactions: Slowmover
Thanks guys especially 222DBFL for posting the pictures. I got off work 4:30am and I took the antenna apart and I found a old Pitman motor in the shack which had some life and I hooked it and wired it in the antenna. I put antenna together and it matches 1to1 on 75 meter right to 12 and 1.5 on 10m. I did see a little floatation at 40 and 20 but I was in my driveway. Enough stuff to cause conflicts plus my base antenna so when I get in the clear I will recheck it. Thanks again guys and I spoke to Robert Atkins the founder of the antenna on Thursday and yes he is ritired and was fishing on Lake Erie. He did sold the business to a fellow in Texas who I did call and I don't have to call him again. He is a difficult person. Guys it is a great antenna and if you are a ham and don't mind the size and you see one for sale grab it. I get accused of running illegal watts with a Kenwood 480HX all the time even in Russia.
Pittman motors are used in Tarheel antennas and probably most of the other ones so you maybe able to get a replacement since these seem to work in your antenna now. Sounds like you lucked out and got your antenna back!

By the way, It was me who posted the antenna pics...

As soon as I saw that post fourstringburn, I made sure I placed the credit where it was due.(y)(y). And again, thx for clearing the air up for me!!

Reactions: fourstringburn
The pickup truck is typically in-line where a lot of people mount there large mobile screwdriver antennas at the bumper hitch. Even still, a lot of that antenna is above the bed and roof line.
My comment was more directed at the fact there is very little ground plane under the antennas which by that very nature makes them inefficient. I am not saying they don't work and given the size mounting options are low,

Last edited:
Reactions: fourstringburn
Pittman motors are used in Tarheel antennas and probably most of the other ones so you maybe able to get a replacement since these seem to work in your antenna now. Sounds like you lucked out and got your antenna back!

By the way, It was me who posted the antenna pics...
Sorry fourstringburn yeah you were the one who posted the antenna pictures and your buddy motor home that have a long one it. Thanks again. I was tired and I fell asleep wake up and cook . Yeah you did support me by saving me from answer some questions and to post the picture myself. I have a early meeting in the morning so I will try the antenna on my way. If I see another one I would get it if I can find parts for it. Some day I might try HI Q antenna

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.