• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PRESIDENT ADAMS/ 5KC FLICKER, CLARIFIER MOD??

DIRTY HARRY

Oct 9, 2006
N.W U.K (ENGLAND)
HI FOLKS :D DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW I CAN EITHER OPEN THE CLARIFIER TO SLIDE ON TX OR PUT A 5 KC FLICK SWITCH ON MY PRESIDENT ADAMS?? IT HAS THE 858 PLL & HAS HIGH BAND FITTED ,CHANNELS ARE A BIT JUMBLED UP ON HIGH BAND (CH16 IS 27.555.) BUT THIS IS NORMAL AS IT WAS FACTORY FITTED. IT ALSO HAS THE REGULAR FCC BAND. I HAVE HEARD THERE IS A MOD OUT THERE, JUST CANT FIND IT :? IM AFTER DOING ONE OF THESE MODS SO THAT I CAN GET THE INBETWEEN CHANNELS (ZERO'S) ANY HELP WITH THIS WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!! CHEERS,SHAUN. :D

I really like those Adams :) Does yours have the freq counter ?
1)Cut R-117
2)Cut D-30
3)Find the backside of the clarifier knob.Follow the PURPLE and BROWN wires and cut them just before they connect to the PCB.
4)Solder the PURPLE wire to an 8 VDC source.
5)Solder the BROWN wire to GROUND.

IM really not sure on the slide though.
president_adams.jpg

president_adamsvfo.jpg

could be ,ad reads modified by Muller Electronics in Germany in 1979 , it has a VFO on the big knob that moves in 1khz steps other then that , the same radio ,before freq mod the radio would go from 27.775 to 29.775 also is a very large mobile at 19inches by 19inches , AUH YES !! I sure remember those Gladiators :)

HI SWITCH KIT & THANX FOR THE INFO GOOD BUD! :D MY ADAMS IS JUST THE NORMAL CHANNEL READOUT MODEL, I HAD SEEN THAT PIC OF THE FREQUENCY READOUT MODEL ON RIGPIX.COM, NEVER ACTUALLY SEEN ONE FOR REAL THOUGH. WELL I COULD DO WITH A BIT MORE INFO ON HOW MUCH SLIDE THIS MOD WOULD GIVE ME??? I GOT MY EARS A LISTENING FOLKS!! :D CHEERS,SHAUN.

ADAMS CLARIFIER MOD

HEY SWITCH KIT, WHERE DID YOU GET THAT MOD FROM??TAKE A LOOK AT THIS IT SOUNDS SIMILAR BUT CONFLICTING TO WHAT YOU PUT, EXCEPT THE WEBSITE I FOUND IT ON SAID ITS FOR THE PRESIDENT WASHINGTON THAT USES THE SAME 858 PLL AS THE ADAMS, WHAT DO YOU RECKON?? I CANT SAY I WOULD DO THIS MOD AS I WANT AT LEAST A 5 KC SWING EITHER SIDE OF THE 12 0'CLOCK POSITION,I HAVE LOOKED HIGH & LOW FOR INFO ON THE ADAMS ON THE INTERNET, BUT IT IS VERY SCARCE & MY EYES ARE GETTING TIRED FOR LOOKING, SURELY SOMEBODY OUT THERE CAN PUT ME 100% RIGHT ON THE MOD I NEED TO DO?? CHEERS,SHAUN.

Unlocking the Clarifier

1) Remove D30
2) Remove D29 and resolder a jumper in its spot.
3) Cut the end of R119 that is closest to D29.
4) Solder a jumper from the cut end of R119 to the banded end of D44.
5) Follow the purple wire from the clarifier control to the PC board and unsolder it from
the board.
6) Resolder this wire to the PC board ground.

You should have about 4khz of slide. (1khz up and 3khz down) :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.