• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President AX144/Uniden AR144 SSB

Blackpaw

May 7, 2011
SW Costal ME
Anyone run an AX144/AR144 40ch AM SSB radio? I picked up one pretty cheap and seems to do OK. Great receive and has good NB/ANL. BUT there's some rust internally on the chassis (not the PCB thankfully) and the vol/sql pot has broken off due to rust and the speaker sounds blown. Would it be worth my while to find a replacement front plate (the one behind the plastic-chrome bezel) and speaker? It seems to be working well, all segments on the ch display work, nice clean audio from my road devil mic, nothing I can see has been clipped. I'm going to ask my local tech to thoroughly bench test it, he's got a scope, counter, sig generator etc, if it passes muster, I may just leave it as-is and make it a beater/loaner radio. 73's and thanks for any input.

photo:

ax144IMG_1555.jpg

Last edited:

Same radio as a Uniden pc244. I had one for several years, they are smooth on AM and outstanding on SSB. Wish Uniden still made em like that.

I was running it today in the mobile with a K40 and couldn't quite make it through the DX pile-ups, if my meter is correct, I was only seeing 10-12 watts on ssb, like I said, I just got it (week or so or less ago) and need to get it looked at. I did contact a local and he said it was sounding good. It's growing on me, but fixing it up to be 100% might be like :bdh: ,the structural repairs are my biggest concerns. It's broke, but not that broke, so why fix it?!?! I'll get it looked at tomorrow and report my results. 73's
Greg

Funny to see this post, I actually just finished doing an alignment on a PC244.

The peak output you're seeing around 15 watts is about right.

Why are you going to have a tech look at it if everything is working and the radio is on frequency? I hope you're not paying for him to look at it. If the radio is rusty and ugly I'd just run it until it dies. I definitely wouldn't put any money into it.

Clean all of the dog snot out of it and give it what it needs. A little money well spent - IMO. If it is a early Uniden and it has SSB; it is a keeper. Got a PC122 at the flea market for $30. Cleaned the pots and gave it a full alignment. Sounds fantastic on SSB! Gotta like them older Unidens . . .

The Defpom AR144,PC122,Pro810E,TRC453,Cobra146 GTL Mods Page

Thanks for the info. My last flea market find was a near perfect Madison for $20 :p: Seller said, "Oh yeah, it works......." NOT {Cry_river} TX ok, but no RX, was a bad cap, so a few $$ and ¢¢ later, I have a nice 8719 Madison (no speaker) for way less than what the flea-bay hacks are trying to get for one.

baseIMG_1311.jpg

Funny to see this post, I actually just finished doing an alignment on a PC244.

The peak output you're seeing around 15 watts is about right.

Why are you going to have a tech look at it if everything is working and the radio is on frequency? I hope you're not paying for him to look at it. If the radio is rusty and ugly I'd just run it until it dies. I definitely wouldn't put any money into it.

He's a friend and doesn't charge me for bench time. If he doesn't have to open the radio, it' mostly free. I'm a Mac (apple) guy and he's a PC guy, and I can trouble shoot most of his PC woes, so he throws me a bone once and while.

Greg

It's a keeper and definitely worth sinking a little money into it. I have the Cobra version of that radio, the 146 GTL, and the other President version that HomerBB had, the President P300. All those radios use the same board.

In my humble opinion, THE BEST chassis for mobile use. Rock solid, stays right on frequency, superb NB/ANL and great receive in a small/medium box. I've had my Cobra 146 GTL for about 12 years now, and after I did an alignment, and put some channels in it, I literally haven't had to do anything to it. Put on the bench last week and it still puts out 18W on SSB and 100% modulation on AM. The clarifier is still perfect as well. Can't go wrong!

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.