• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant 2........?

What are your impressions so far on the Grant 2? Do you think Uniden hit the mark as far as the Europeon market is concerned?

Well it makes a change that us Brits are not ripped off with prices (try importing radios from your fair country and pay all the duties and VAT on top:thumbdown:).
Well this radio on first impressions and after around 15 hours of airtime is everything I expected and more.
I'm very happy with it, the build quality is "Uniden".
All I can say is Well done President(y)

No 1khz steps, no split....single final...the power of the 980 did not impress and neither did the receive. I wonder if the president logo is enough to correct all the 980 shortcomings?

Why do you need 1kHz steps and given the fact its for the EU market where the legal limit is 12W SSB then a single final is more than enough.

Unless the power is less than half other radios then you're not going to notice.

looks pretty cool . i like the single din option , but i think i like all the options the new lincoln is supposed to have . but then again i like to hear the radios on the air before i buy . even if all i can get my hands on are reviews.

all in all i think it is a much cooler cb than we have seen in the last couple of years .

To use it on 10m SSB? On 27.577 if someone is doing freeband?
Without that it is no more than another overpriced chickenbander junk.
Mike

My experience of freebanding years ago is everyone sits on 5kHz "channels" anyway due to the fact most of them are using rigs with channels rather than a real VFO so therefore having 1kHz steps is pointless and as long as it can do 0 or 5 least significant kHz figure then it'll more than suffice.

Hey Guys, got a video up as well - CBRadioMagazine.com - President Grant II AM/FM/SSB CB Radio Video Overview

Visit my YouTube channel to see the freq expansion mode.

Gave it a good test last night and this morning and just like the UK guys are saying - so far everyone says the audio is very clear and I made multiple contacts no problem. The RX is really what surprised me, still a little of the white noise but overall the receiver is so much quieter and cleaner than just about anything else I've been messing with lately. Stations sound so crisp in the receive and the radio handled the noise in the city really well too, not much interference.

First impression is very good on this one. I'll be on the air around 2:30pm EST on 27.425 if you'd like to try to make a contact and hear the radio.

Reactions: 4 people
Hey Guys, got a video up as well - CBRadioMagazine.com - President Grant II AM/FM/SSB CB Radio Video Overview

Gave it a good test last night and this morning and just like the UK guys are saying - so far everyone says the audio is very clear and I made multiple contacts no problem. The RX is really what surprised me, still a little of the white noise but overall the receiver is so much quieter and cleaner than just about anything else I've been messing with lately. Stations sound so crisp in the receive and the radio handled the noise in the city really well too, not much interference.

First impression is very good on this one. I'll be on the air around 2:30pm EST on 27.425 if you'd like to try to make a contact and hear the radio.

I look forward to comparing notes, I was talking to some locals the other night and said it would not sell due to it not having a chrome front (honestly:confused:).
Maybe try telling Yaesu ,Kenwood and Icom that.
You have done well to receive one so quick as they are not available in the UK yet.

Personally I'm done with chrome, none of my cars have it anymore so I'd rather have radios that match the interior :)

Got to run the radio for another hour and made a number of contacts, everyone said the audio is just super clean.

The receive is what continues to impress, conditions weren't great today but the radio seemed to really pull up the stations, even the ones that were barely moving the needle.

The high-cut feature on this radio is very impressive and makes the listening really quiet, it cuts back on the signal strength a little so it seems to be doing a little more than just filtering but after running with and without I just left the high-cut on for the rest of the time as it really cleans up the sound.

No 1 kHz steps so not ideal for 10 meters as you can't get in between, but for CB and freeband where most people sit on the 0's and 5's shouldn't be an issue.

Really user friendly so far, was able to figure everything out quickly and use it confidently while driving around during the day. Had a little trouble making some contacts as 15 watts isn't much for the rough conditions today so I think for most people they'll want to pair this with a small amp. It could work nicely with a KL203 or anything bigger.

One nice thing is that as a single final radio I just plugged it into the accessory outlet today for testing.

It really is too bad this radio isn't set up to be distributed to the U.S., it's a beefed up Uniden 980 with all the features we wanted, plus better RX and TX.

Reactions: 2 people

thank you for review. seems like a very nice radio. id like to see that radio with a
antenna on it so we can hear the recieve aswell.

Well, I got used to having no chrome with my CRE-8900. Just that much less to show scratches. When I want chrome I'll pull out my TRE-936ffc. It would be nice to own a Grant 2 as I have never owned a President radio before. I like the VOX feature. That would free me up to do stuff like work on radios and listen in as long as it isn't tuned to the Super Bowl or channel 28 or the cb band. I wonder if someone will import it. (y)

Nice review Dave. You covered it well.
Expect to see them in the shops come March and I am sure someone in the US will have them on EBAY. For what it is it does OK and seems to be better than the 980 which I did not think was all that good. Good to see the grant has a bit more power on tap ....Go well with a little kl203 for a 100w rig in the car!
The way they have done the zeros and 5khz is a bit old...staying with the 10khz step...should be able to have a 5khz step..but ..then it would be too close to the lincoln 2. They may not sell so many of these once the Lincoln 2 comes out which will have the rest of the feature set...so wize to brig the grant to market first!
Nice! Good enough for the average freebander but lack of split operation, and 1khz step may make the freeband diehards hold off. Be good for amp sales!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated