• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant Classic Confusion

30wpm

Oct 26, 2015
Hello -

I joined while waiting for my new-to-me rig to arrive. Back a zillion years ago I had an old President Grant export radio that was super loud and clear in both TX and RX. If memory serves, it made about 40 watts and was a great radio. I sold it to a guy that waived a ton of cash in my face, figuring I'd replace it at some point.

FFWD to this past week, and I decided to grab a radio to install for an upcoming trip. I spied an ad for a President Grant export radio and was shocked! I talked to the seller and he said that it was unmodified and just checked for alignment etc. I paid what I thought was too much, but the time-crunch and the nostalgia took over, lol.

I just received it. It is not a Grant. It is a Grant "Classic". It's from 1997. The board looks about the same as I recall (kind of a typical Galaxy or 2950 looking board; dual finals, mirror board, etc), but I haven't looked at a radio since the 90's :) It shows signs of work being performed. There's various replacement parts in the audio section and a few other places, but the output was right on stock specs. I even tweaked the VR's and it is about what I'd expect into the dummy load. Frequency is spot on with freq counter too. I did notice two odd things though. I'll post a pic of the PCB side showing a TR that's hanging in free space and soldered to two points on the board, and then running a wire down somewhere at the face. It also has some kind of (perhaps factory?) ASC Auto-Squelch-Control feature. Is that factory on a Classic?

Beyond the above, I'm wondering if I bought something as good as my old radio, or some newer piece of junk? I can't see any markings as to country of manufacturer or even a number on the board.

Lastly, is this radio able to be modified like the original? I'm thinking NPC mod? It will be barefoot only, so I'm thinking 8-10watt carrier should be about right? If that's no good, I seem to recall volting the finals being popular on this chassis... any new ideas or better methods out there for these? Hopefully 20 new years of progress will yield something new and better :)

Thanks so much in advance for any help!

Wally

That transistor is not factory, someone removed what appears to either be a jumper or resistor on the other side of the board in that area, and installed that transistor to switch something. If you could take a clear picture of the component side of the board that will help me out in giving you mods. Thanks. :)

~Cheers~

Not so easy to take a pic. This big sucker is in the way. I did find the board though. PC-999AE.

Working on more pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
What is this mess?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,003.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    968.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
The other side is so tough to take a pic. I think a diode might have been pulled. Here's the shot...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    900.3 KB · Views: 22
Looks like someone had some noise toys, or echo or something of that effect in there... It should all be pulled. The C945 transistor is just a general purpose transistor that can be used for amplifying, switching, or attenuating, depending on the application. In this case, it looks like it's switching something on and off.

The particular radio you have is basically the same thing as the original President Grant export you had years ago, same basic PCB. The ASC (automatic squelch control) was later added, but the basic layout is the same. Should be the MB8719 PLL, with a pair of C2312's for finals. Do you talk mostly AM or SSB? Or do you do a bit of both?

~Cheers~

Reactions: 30wpm
I haven't been on the air in years, and that was only HF, lol. I intend to use this rig as mobile only and probably mostly AM on the highway and just a little SSB here and there when bored. I'm not interested in running an amp either.

I'm really ticked now! The seller is another HAM not too far away, and sold is as a "stock unmodified" radio. Who knows what this poor girl has seen.

Thanks!

I got a reply from the seller along with pictures of other Grant Classics. It looks like this is all normal. The box is the auto-squelch unit, and the transistor on the back of the board and it's associated wiring are for converting the unit to give three equal bands of channels instead of the stock French compliment; he provided a picture of another unit from the internet with the same setup.

So it looks like all that is needed is to either NPC mod or something else for a few extra whiskers to get out over the air in traffic :)

Thanks,
Wally

Perhaps the transistor was replaced at some point, the solder joints aren't factory. I'll do up a swing mod that will work nicely with that radio and keep it clean on the scope and the spectrum analyzer, and post it here. :)

~Cheers~

Reactions: 222DBFL
it's obvious that someone has been all over inside this radio. I plan on fixing some cold joints when I get to modding her.

Thank you so much for the help!!

Wally

Exit13 will help a bunch I am sure. He likes to work on those type radios. The president Jackson, Grant, Washington, and so on. Great radios man, I've owned a few, gave a grant to my brother in law for Christmas about 3-4 years ago. Man that radio had such a nice recejve I almost didn't want to give it to him LOL. But anyway, have fun modding, and keep it clean and mean!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.