• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Grant DX No Deadkey or Power Showing on the Meter

Terrster

Nov 27, 2009
Hi, I have a President Grant DX and it worked fine in my mobile when I had tested it before but I decided to test it inside and only had this power cord without a fuse and hooked it up with it in a brainless moment and when it powered up it started making a crackling sound through the speaker. Now it is receiving but when I turn the volume knob down, when it gets close to where you turn it off the loud crackling noise starts popping in and out and only when I'm moving the knob. If I leave it alone it sounds normal. Also the meter needle doesn't move much if any when I key up. Maybe a slight movement on AM. I know it was swinging all the way before. It shows full modulation when I put it on the modulation setting but no swing on RF power. Any ideas? SSB and FM have no swing when I whistle into it and the light on the meter dims a bit.

The crackling in the speaker is simply an indication you need to spray the inside of the potentiometer with some quality contact cleaner (not Radio Shack). The RF problem is most likely a blown final. The fact you see the light dim means it's drawing current but no producing output. Having a final with a shorted junction will do this. There are other possibilities but I would start with checking this.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.