• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president HR2510 high swr spikes

Hmmm.Ok, not often do you encounter that - but it is those little -simple- things that can really goof you up and make your day.

So if you found some bad soldering - might not be a bad idea to go thru it again and see what comes up.

That is an older board, so careful with the heat, it uses the older lead solder, so if you have the older solder - best to use it, silver base and the tin in the newer solder does not mix well with the older lead (Pb) based - even the flux might have issues.

But just be careful, follow simple safety protocols like powered off and discharge caps - keep static down - you'll be ok.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
haven't had much time to tinker with it but i had the idea of checking the bias witch for this radio should be 50ma on both driver and final correct. and with a multimeter set to the 20A scale 50ma should read out 0.05 correct?

Reactions: Handy Andy
haven't had much time to tinker with it but i had the idea of checking the bias witch for this radio should be 50ma on both driver and final correct. and with a multimeter set to the 20A scale 50ma should read out 0.05 correct?

Sorry to post twice but this thought requires a separate post...
upload_2020-8-20_8-10-33.png

When you see or even purchase two radios - one for you another for your special someone (READ: XYL-Divorced) and one ends up toast because THEY took it to another ham that worked on it and then destroyed it later - well, it's why it's come back - no not the Wife - some of her baggage - with the radio being part of it...

Note the arrows, this area is very sensitive to signal and harmonics - or out of band operation.
- because it's tied directly to the Battery supply
- so it's not just SWR issues AFTER the SWR RISER card
- it can be from BEFORE and arrival from this section with out of band signals arriving to the SWR card too
- the arrows show a Negative Feedback circuit used in the HR2510's DRIVER section, to help prevent harmonics and spurries from getting tangled up in the FINAL and ruining your day.​

Now I don't think you may have extra signals arriving to the Final from this section, but if you have done work to this area, you can upset the balance and neutralization the circuit uses to keep things from getting out of hand.

IF the Driver sends too much signal that's one thing, but if it sends a harmonic or extra bandwidth signal to the Final. It isn't set up for or designed to use it.

It, the FINAL, can show SWR issues here by BANDWIDTH alone - that being your sending harmonics to the SWR CARD and the PI filter thru the FINAL; which the filter then bounced them right back into the Final and Driver circuit - THRU the SWR riser card - showing SWR problems that may not be with your antenna - it's an internal problem.

Using OCCAMS RAZOR as a guide, when you've eliminated all the directional possibilities - then the least likely but still probable conditions do exist.

You may have the SWR issue because the radio is designed to send out signals in the range of 12 meter to 10 meter band - including the 11 meter CB band, but not much else - so you may have that filtering issue with SWR because the radio is also generating something else along with it. So you may need to be more prudent in tuneups and keep this radio more stock - for if you got it and it needs some work due to age, work carefully and keep things as close to OEM "Stock" as much as possible to remove all other avenues of error or potential problems.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
yeah i was thinking about that last night about it sending out harmonics witch is why i checked the bias and wouldn't ya know someone has been playing around with vr112 and 113 both were set WAY to high so i backed them down i got vr112 right at 50ma bit i could not get vr 113 below 100ma

also am power seems to be ok 5 watt dead key with about 12 watt swing but ssb seems to only get about 12 as well and that's where it starts to cut out and swr readings go up on dummy load external meter shows no swr but internal meter shows its there but using another radio to monitor it i still hear it cut out right around 12 watts but if i push the mic gain button i don't get as much swing and it acts better

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated