• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

president HR2510 high swr spikes

Apr 29, 2020
i have a president hr2510 am and fm seem to work ok i get a little over 10 watts on my mfj 941e tuner meter.
but on ssb on a dummy load as soon as i speak into the mic the power goes out but the audio cuts out(on another radio i'm using to monitor it) but when hooked to a antenna on ssb whenever i key the mic the power shoots to about 10 watts and the swr jumps up with it. i'm assuming there might be a short somewhere but not sure where to start.

correction if i speak into the mic on the antenna on ssb i do get audio but only if i speak quietly if i speak a little louder it cuts out and the swr jumps also the audio i do get on ssb doesn't sound great and even on the dummy load there is almost no audio in ssb

There are two ceramic caps comeing off the middle leg on either the driver or final would would those be a reason for this one of the legs broke off and a resolderd it but not sure if that could cause this the issues was there before hand

Yes, those caps need to be re-soldered back to the final. Those two caps are there to help with impedance matching on the final. If the caps fell off or became unsoldered, you can experience the SWR spikes that you are currently seeing. The right way to fix it is to install a ceramic or mica insulator between the final and the chassis that it mounts to... when you install that insulator, you won't need the 2 capacitors that are soldered under the final any longer.

~Cheers~

Can you point me to some replacements or the right mica insulator to use been trying find them but cant and do those caps have a certan way they need to go like a electrolytic?

Yes, you do. Between the insulator and the chassis, and then between the insulator and the final itself. In short, you'd want to put thermal paste on both sides of the insulator.

~Cheers~

Reactions: NZ8N
You'll just want to use a little dab on each side of the insulator, and spread it out a little so it covers the majority of the insulator.

Don't use Arctic Silver or any CPU type thermal paste, it can be conductive and you do not want that. You'll want to get thermal paste that is used specifically for electronics, and it will generally be white in color. :D

~Cheers~

Doubtful, electrolytics are not going to be the cause of SWR spikes in this case. The 2 disc caps that sit under the final would be the primary culprit here, only other thing that could cause an SWR spike is something at the antenna, whether it's a bad coax connection, or a bad connection within the antenna itself.

~Cheers~

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.