• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln / HR2510 or new RCI 2950DX?

I think the 2510/Lincoln has a much better receiver than the RCI 29xx series radios. Both are sensitive as hell, but the Lincoln/2510 has a much better signal to noise ratio.

I think the TX on the Lincoln / 2510 is second to none in it's class in SSB and FM modes. The 29xx can sound really nice in those modes too, but all other factors being equal (a good mic, proper mic gain/ ALC settings, etc) the 2510/Lincoln has a warmer, more natural, pleasant sound.

The conventional wisdom on AM between the two is that the Lincoln/2510 is not as much of an audio swing monster as the 2950. I would agree with that, but the Lincoln/2510 can be tuned to sound pretty bodacious on AM. I run mine with an Astatic 575 and have the AMC pretty well maxed, and it sounds VERY good on AM. Not ass-blasting loud, but damn good.

The display is a little lame on the 2510/Lincoln. Just kind of small.

If you can find one that is Chipswitched, you get some neat aftermarket features.

I think the 2510/Lincoln has a much better receiver than the RCI 29xx series radios. Both are sensitive as hell, but the Lincoln/2510 has a much better signal to noise ratio.

I think the TX on the Lincoln / 2510 is second to none in it's class in SSB and FM modes. The 29xx can sound really nice in those modes too, but all other factors being equal (a good mic, proper mic gain/ ALC settings, etc) the 2510/Lincoln has a warmer, more natural, pleasant sound.

The conventional wisdom on AM between the two is that the Lincoln/2510 is not as much of an audio swing monster as the 2950. I would agree with that, but the Lincoln/2510 can be tuned to sound pretty bodacious on AM. I run mine with an Astatic 575 and have the AMC pretty well maxed, and it sounds VERY good on AM. Not ass-blasting loud, but damn good.

The display is a little lame on the 2510/Lincoln. Just kind of small.

If you can find one that is Chipswitched, you get some neat aftermarket features.

They are all reasonable radios,my main concern would be the difficulty in sourcing parts for the lincoln/hr2510 should anything happen in the future,especially the mrf 477 or mrf 455 depending on which model it is,especially the mrf 477 which is now nigh on impossible to find and if you can find them extortionate,seeing as ranger is American based and the 2950dx is currently still available for the time being as opposed to the lincoln/hr2510 being discontinued i personally would choose that path as parts would be much easier to source,but that is the only reason i'd choose the 2950dx as it like most radios has its own shortcomings.

"The conventional wisdom on AM between the two is that the Lincoln/2510 is not as much of an audio swing monster as the 2950"

from what ive read the 2950DX isnt a audio monster on AM , but they can sound respectable . RX is more important to me than TX though since i have a small 2 pill if a stronger signal is needed . it seems odd to me that the Lincoln/2510/2600 doesnt have a mic gain control . heres a few links that you may have already seen

RCI-2950DX Review
CB World Informer September 2001 Web Edition.
http://www.rangerusa.com/pdf/2970qst2.pdf
HR2510 Review

"The conventional wisdom on AM between the two is that the Lincoln/2510 is not as much of an audio swing monster as the 2950"

from what ive read the 2950DX isnt a audio monster on AM , but they can sound respectable . RX is more important to me than TX though since i have a small 2 pill if a stronger signal is needed . it seems odd to me that the Lincoln/2510/2600 doesnt have a mic gain control . heres a few links that you may have already seen

RCI-2950DX Review
CB World Informer September 2001 Web Edition.
http://www.rangerusa.com/pdf/2970qst2.pdf
HR2510 Review

The president lincoln has a low/high mike gain switch,but it don't do that much.Add to that fact it uses low level AM and its never going to be a big AM performer,but on SSB and FM it rocks and is why it was so popular in Europe.

A "tuned" 2510 radio will be a good choice. Dont believe the hype about a 2510 not being a swinger, or loud on am. These radios can dk3w and swing 50pep if set up. I feel its a very good all mode radio. I have newer magnums and keep going back to my little tuned 2510. There is a mic att button however I would'nt use it unless youre keying into a smaller box and dont want to overdrive it on SSB. If you choose the 2510 make sure your swr is good as the replacement finals are far and few now days. And ssb performance is awesome...

Your responses helped me decide in keeping my Lincoln (mobile) & 2510 (spare). Both are tuned by Rogerbird, and have been happy with both of them for many years. Maybe when (if) these finally die, I’ll look into a RCI 2950DX.
Thanks for your input!

A "tuned" 2510 radio will be a good choice. Dont believe the hype about a 2510 not being a swinger, or loud on am. These radios can dk3w and swing 50pep if set up. I feel its a very good all mode radio. I have newer magnums and keep going back to my little tuned 2510. There is a mic att button however I would'nt use it unless youre keying into a smaller box and dont want to overdrive it on SSB. If you choose the 2510 make sure your swr is good as the replacement finals are far and few now days. And ssb performance is awesome...

That's exactly how I use the Mic Hi/Low feature---on "High" for barefoot or AM with an amplifier, or on "Low" for when I'm running an amp in SSB mode--it cuts my output from 22 watts down to about 15 watts, which is perfect for my little RM 2 x 455 amp! (KL-351p)

So just how scarce/expensive is the MRF 455 at this point? (My Lincoln is from 2001, with the 455 final).

Not sure how scarce they are in the usa but in europe they are virtually non existant,there is also many fake mrf 455 and mrf 477's about) if a genuine one is found will set you back about 40 quid here,about 60 dollars in your money.

srf3775 is the replacment for mrf455's. there available but nobody stocks them.

I have both. I Find myself using the Lincoln more. I have never had a problem getting good Audio reports even tho it is a "Low Level" Am Radio, and they excel on SSB....
It kind of boils down to personal preference, Larry, DXMan runs 2950`s all the time and he is very happy with them.
I talk to him often, and he also always sounds good....Both radios have there good points. Right now I have 1 2510, 1 2600, 1 lincoln, and 1 2950DX and I can not say that any of them are a "Bad" radio.

Jeff

So just how scarce/expensive is the MRF 455 at this point? (My Lincoln is from 2001, with the 455 final).
from my understanding after talking to someone at rf parts the mrf455 was discontinued and replaced with the mrf453 when i ordered a pair for an amp i was shocked to see they were larger than the mrf455 making better heat dissipation.when installed they performed just as good if not better than its little brother.i think they still can be had at rf parts should be around the same price as the 2290 or 2879 25-30 us each.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.