• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln II+ best kept secret

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I searched google and this site for the low end dead key adjustment pot for this radio and can't seem to find a call out for the pot #. My radio with the RF power set all the way down is dead keying about 6 watts and I want to change it to 1 watt so I can use my KL-503 amp with the radio. People talk about doing it but I haven't seem to find the needed info. When I open it up I'm not going to experiment and make the radio worse than it already is. This radio has been the worse case of frustration of any radio I own. I know it has potential but I'll never buy another President Radio product. Needing help Please !

W1 is the low power adjustment on the Lincoln II without the + Not sure if they are the same.
There is a sharp copy of the service manual for the Lincoln II at Simon the Wizard.

Reactions: whiteastro
W1 is the low power adjustment on the Lincoln II without the + Not sure if they are the same.
There is a sharp copy of the service manual for the Lincoln II at Simon the Wizard.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. They must be trying to keep everything a secret. President's repair techs only repaired what they had to so the radio was usable but not desirable !

I searched google and this site for the low end dead key adjustment pot for this radio and can't seem to find a call out for the pot #. My radio with the RF power set all the way down is dead keying about 6 watts and I want to change it to 1 watt so I can use my KL-503 amp with the radio. People talk about doing it but I haven't seem to find the needed info. When I open it up I'm not going to experiment and make the radio worse than it already is. This radio has been the worse case of frustration of any radio I own. I know it has potential but I'll never buy another President Radio product. Needing help Please !
I reduced my Linc. II+ down to 2 watts and I use the KL-203P with it. I had to reduce the volts out of the power supply down to 12.2 volts to obtain the 25 watts dead-key and get about 60 watts PEP.

I reduced my Linc. II+ down to 2 watts and I use the KL-203P with it. I had to reduce the volts out of the power supply down to 12.2 volts to obtain the 25 watts dead-key and get about 60 watts PEP.
Thanks I'll try that but what pot inside the radio did you turn to get 2 watts or is it clearly marked inside the radio. I'm just wanting to be prepared so I'm not leaving the cover of the radio while I do research. ( Lose Parts ) LOL

wait, you guy are pushing that much power into a low drive amp?
Alot of people run KL-203s with Uniden 980 SS pushing 3watts and haven't heard of them burning up. But maybe they aren't real Rag Chewers. The radio I first had success with making contacts with was a stock 980 driving a KL-200P but the trouble is that was the bait that started my Radio Madness and that was many radios ago. LOL

yea, im talkin about the 60 PEP part here tho. i figured the KL203 could handle a 980 but i always thought a dualfinal rig is more or less outta the question

yea, im talkin about the 60 PEP part here tho. i figured the KL203 could handle a 980 but i always thought a dualfinal rig is more or less outta the question
I'm sure your right but a lot of it depends on how much cash you have to spread around. Myself I had to start small and try to work my way up as I felt I could afford it because you don't get rich on Social Security and a small pension. Good thing I learned to live a modest life style and stay home and play with my radios instead of chasing skirts ! LOL

I consider myself as still learning because I started in CB in the mid 70s and SSB was out of the question, Dropped out in the early 80s ( Married with first house ) Didn't buy a Cobra 29 until the early 2000s again but didn't start pushing radio again until I retired. ( Late 2015 ) Been a long hard battle Learning ! LOL

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
I have ran my 203p on 15 volts quite a bit I drove it with low carrier so it would deadkey 10 and swing 150 to drive a 2 pill hg 2879c box. They are tough.
The variable you are looking for is "pwrl"

I think the 60 watts PEP was output from the amp not input. Since he turned the voltage down the amplifier was doing a 25 watt dead key and the peak swing was 60.

I think the 60 watts PEP was output from the amp not input. Since he turned the voltage down the amplifier was doing a 25 watt dead key and the peak swing was 60.
Yes!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.