• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln II+ best kept secret

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I searched google and this site for the low end dead key adjustment pot for this radio and can't seem to find a call out for the pot #. My radio with the RF power set all the way down is dead keying about 6 watts and I want to change it to 1 watt so I can use my KL-503 amp with the radio. People talk about doing it but I haven't seem to find the needed info. When I open it up I'm not going to experiment and make the radio worse than it already is. This radio has been the worse case of frustration of any radio I own. I know it has potential but I'll never buy another President Radio product. Needing help Please !

W1 is the low power adjustment on the Lincoln II without the + Not sure if they are the same.
There is a sharp copy of the service manual for the Lincoln II at Simon the Wizard.

Reactions: whiteastro
W1 is the low power adjustment on the Lincoln II without the + Not sure if they are the same.
There is a sharp copy of the service manual for the Lincoln II at Simon the Wizard.
Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. They must be trying to keep everything a secret. President's repair techs only repaired what they had to so the radio was usable but not desirable !

I searched google and this site for the low end dead key adjustment pot for this radio and can't seem to find a call out for the pot #. My radio with the RF power set all the way down is dead keying about 6 watts and I want to change it to 1 watt so I can use my KL-503 amp with the radio. People talk about doing it but I haven't seem to find the needed info. When I open it up I'm not going to experiment and make the radio worse than it already is. This radio has been the worse case of frustration of any radio I own. I know it has potential but I'll never buy another President Radio product. Needing help Please !
I reduced my Linc. II+ down to 2 watts and I use the KL-203P with it. I had to reduce the volts out of the power supply down to 12.2 volts to obtain the 25 watts dead-key and get about 60 watts PEP.

I reduced my Linc. II+ down to 2 watts and I use the KL-203P with it. I had to reduce the volts out of the power supply down to 12.2 volts to obtain the 25 watts dead-key and get about 60 watts PEP.
Thanks I'll try that but what pot inside the radio did you turn to get 2 watts or is it clearly marked inside the radio. I'm just wanting to be prepared so I'm not leaving the cover of the radio while I do research. ( Lose Parts ) LOL

wait, you guy are pushing that much power into a low drive amp?
Alot of people run KL-203s with Uniden 980 SS pushing 3watts and haven't heard of them burning up. But maybe they aren't real Rag Chewers. The radio I first had success with making contacts with was a stock 980 driving a KL-200P but the trouble is that was the bait that started my Radio Madness and that was many radios ago. LOL

Reactions: ShadowDelaware
yea, im talkin about the 60 PEP part here tho. i figured the KL203 could handle a 980 but i always thought a dualfinal rig is more or less outta the question
I'm sure your right but a lot of it depends on how much cash you have to spread around. Myself I had to start small and try to work my way up as I felt I could afford it because you don't get rich on Social Security and a small pension. Good thing I learned to live a modest life style and stay home and play with my radios instead of chasing skirts ! LOL

I consider myself as still learning because I started in CB in the mid 70s and SSB was out of the question, Dropped out in the early 80s ( Married with first house ) Didn't buy a Cobra 29 until the early 2000s again but didn't start pushing radio again until I retired. ( Late 2015 ) Been a long hard battle Learning ! LOL

I have ran my 203p on 15 volts quite a bit I drove it with low carrier so it would deadkey 10 and swing 150 to drive a 2 pill hg 2879c box. They are tough.
The variable you are looking for is "pwrl"

yea, im talkin about the 60 PEP part here tho. i figured the KL203 could handle a 980 but i always thought a dualfinal rig is more or less outta the question
I think the 60 watts PEP was output from the amp not input. Since he turned the voltage down the amplifier was doing a 25 watt dead key and the peak swing was 60.

I think the 60 watts PEP was output from the amp not input. Since he turned the voltage down the amplifier was doing a 25 watt dead key and the peak swing was 60.
Yes!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.