• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Lincoln II+ V4 board question

TimmyTheTorch

Dec 11, 2022
Northeast Wisconsin
Finally, a problem that's not of my doing. I loaned my Lincoln II+ V4 to a friend for a week for him to try out. When it came back to me, it would not even turn on. I think he may have had a high SWR issue or amp issue, but really could not be certain and ca't get a straight answer. All I had to do to at least get it to turn on was replace the fuse in the power cord.

However, while the receive now seems to be working properly, when I key the mic the wattage stays at exactly 0 on both the radio's meter and the external watt meter and does not move with modulation. This is on AM/FM/SSB, all power levels, all modulation levels, with two different mics. I pulled the finals out and one of them was bad so I replaced all three of them with new 13N10s like the ones that were in there. I also put in a new TIP36C. Still no transmit. I was told it could also be the RF pre-drive amp 2SC2314 or the KA7808 voltage regulator. They're cheap so I am getting a few of those sent this week to try.

I saw something strange when looking over the board and I don't know if this is by design or a sign of something gone bad. Does it look normal to have the stuff apparently barfing out of the barrel? Is this a capacitor? I think to the left of it is a TDA2003L audit amplifier and to the right is a KA7808 voltage regulator.

1678654886930.png

Do some continuity checks - make sure you're getting voltage's to the Finals and if you are aware - the radio uses jumpers to adjust bias trim, check them too.

The "blown finals" issue can also arrive from improperly wired radio - as in reverse polarity. So since you have receive back, you can also double check the condition of the TIP36C by simply testing it's legs for voltage when it's powered on.

No power? Presume blown part or you'll have to locate that voltage source to that TIP36C and keep checking that trace back until you find power.

Reactions: TimmyTheTorch
I was told this morning that my broken Lincoln II+ has been repaired and my friend footed the bill. I hope it works as well as before the big ape got his hands on it. Should know in a few days.

Here's the tech's notes:

PROBLEMS: No transmit power output.

ANALYSIS: Trace problem to no connection from Q55 base to Q54 emitter. Evidently the board multi-layer connection had been damaged.

RESOLUTION: Add point-to-point wire.
Adjust for 12 Watts AM carrier (40 W "swing" PEP) and 35 Watts PEP SSB.

Use monitor scope and spectrum analyzer to test - clean output signal.

Hmmm...

Murphys Law...

The most expensive parts in any equipment - will blow first - to save the 2¢ fuse.

Your friend was lucky - it was a blown trace - but at least fixable - not that it required a new board dropped in because of too many blown traces and parts from whatever caused this issue.

Just a thought........

These point-to-point repairs should be cataloged (with pictures) for future reference........ being as it's the only way for others to be able to repair their radios in the future.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.