• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley adjustment pots ?

whiteastro

Feb 22, 2019
I would like to turn up the AM power output on my New McKinley CB radio. This morning I took the cover off and found 2 pots marked AM-S & SSB-S and I am wondering what they adjust? I was expecting to see AM PWR and SSB PWR but I guess each manufacturer might have their own designation but don't want to turn the wrong pots and create problems for myself. I just want to go from 2.5 watts to 4 watts like it should be. Thanks in advance !

I would like to turn up the AM power output on my New McKinley CB radio. This morning I took the cover off and found 2 pots marked AM-S & SSB-S and I am wondering what they adjust? I was expecting to see AM PWR and SSB PWR but I guess each manufacturer might have their own designation but don't want to turn the wrong pots and create problems for myself. I just want to go from 2.5 watts to 4 watts like it should be. Thanks in advance !

RT203 will increase RF power. Are you looking at that or am/SSB modulation? If so then RT 202 and RT 206

D19DCEB5-6DB0-4D34-A624-B5706BBA76BF.png

The pots don’t have a stop. They will turn infinitely. Adjust accordingly. Btw am-s and SSB-s are the squelch pots.

Hope his screwdriver ain't gold.......

Hope not!! But a plastic alignment tool should be used since the radio is on during adjustment. It’s not a power house radio. Even at 5w it’s still clean sounding. It only swings to 12-13w max before the pot goes back to 0. At least those are my findings on my McKinley.

Thanks for the input on the adjustment. I just want the RF power to be at 4 watts when the RF power graph is all the way up not the 2.5 watts it's showing now. I can turn the external power down when I run my KL 203 P

I have plastic alignment tools I bought special for my radios and I don't get crazy. This isn't my first rodeo. LOL

Ha ha...awesome!!!

Thanks for the input on the adjustment. I just want the RF power to be at 4 watts when the RF power graph is all the way up not the 2.5 watts it's showing now. I can turn the external power down when I run my KL 203 P

Ya they set them real low from the factory.
Mine was set at 3w but would only swing to 7w either AM or SSB. When I set the modulation to factory specs the radio came alive!

Drive the amp at 1.5-2w on AM. On SSB..5w That 1:4 ratio is what works. So 30w swining to 130w for me.

Also get a small fan if your long winded. They will get warm kinda fast.

Without making a new thread…my radio is off frequency on SSB. My voice sounds high pitched. Locals said they have to adjust the “fine tune” knob to the left.

So…I wanted to try a crude way of getting closer to frequency by turning the SSB frequency TX pot. So the way I am reading this, adjusting RT302 should be the correct pot. I know it’s not the proper way but until I can get the radio to a professional. Thanks!!

1D87B7BB-7563-4543-9179-B436173160F2.jpeg
2359CE04-46E0-43D1-8378-43995D342028.jpeg

Without making a new thread…my radio is off frequency on SSB. My voice sounds high pitched. Locals said they have to adjust the “fine tune” knob to the left.

So…I wanted to try a crude way of getting closer to frequency by turning the SSB frequency TX pot. So the way I am reading this, adjusting RT302 should be the correct pot. I know it’s not the proper way but until I can get the radio to a professional. Thanks!!

View attachment 60215
View attachment 60216
Will be interesting to hear your results. Keep me posted. That pot is listed for USB I didn't want to try it for LSB not knowing radios very well.

Reactions: ForestRunner98
Yeah in a week or so I'm going to make a 3.5 hour trip to a somewhat local CB shop and have my McKinley aligned because I've had mine about a year and half and can't use it because of misalignment and trouble with talking on 38 LSB. The factory had me send it to a shop and they made it better but it isn't perfect yet and I don't know if that is because of a Gorilla baggage handler at FedEx or what but I could about Spit Bullets !

Reactions: ForestRunner98

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.