• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley adjustment pots ?

Yeah in a week or so I'm going to make a 3.5 hour trip to a somewhat local CB shop and have my McKinley aligned because I've had mine about a year and half and can't use it because of misalignment and trouble with talking on 38 LSB. The factory had me send it to a shop and they made it better but it isn't perfect yet and I don't know if that is because of a Gorilla baggage handler at FedEx or what but I could about Spit Bullets !
Any updates on your McKinley?? Curious to hear about your results. No updates with mine yet re: LSB

Reactions: whiteastro
No not yet, I've put the trip off for a week because I'm getting ready for a labor day weekend yard sale to try to get rid of some baggage. 47 years in the same place and I'm overloaded. Maybe I can sell some of my straight AM CBs and antennas. I'll send you a PM after I take the trip to the Radio Shop because you helped me long ago with McKinley adjustments. I'm itching to make that radio shine like yourself. Peace be with you !

Reactions: ForestRunner98
No not yet, I've put the trip off for a week because I'm getting ready for a labor day weekend yard sale to try to get rid of some baggage. 47 years in the same place and I'm overloaded. Maybe I can sell some of my straight AM CBs and antennas. I'll send you a PM after I take the trip to the Radio Shop because you helped me long ago with McKinley adjustments. I'm itching to make that radio shine like yourself. Peace be with you !
I totally get ya! Sometimes our hobbies have to take a back seat to life stuff. Good luck on the sale! I will catch you on the PM!!

Reactions: whiteastro
I totally get ya! Sometimes our hobbies have to take a back seat to life stuff. Good luck on the sale! I will catch you on the PM!!
Yeah especially in good weather, my plate is always overload with 2 property maintenance and equipment maintenance. Fabrications in my garage shop. Winter slows down a little until snow removal but unfortunately DX will probably slow down also with the Sun in the southern hemisphere. At almost 72 YO maybe I'll start slowing down also. LOL

Ok, in a nutshell. 1khz tone from YouTube on my phone, out loud but not too annoying. Sdr on computer, no antenna. Two radios both with little dummy loads in the ant socket. Turn everything on and let it warm up about a half hour.

Tune sdr to 27.205 mhz and both radios too. Turn on tone and key radio #1 and listen on sdr. The warble in the tone is the mismatch in frequency. Dial in the transmit in all modes which basically makes the warble go away and the sdr and phone sound the same.

Then turn down the volume on sdr and key #1 radio and listen on #2 radio. Adjust receive on #2 with tone from #1.

Then transmit tone on #2 and listen on sdr. Dial in the transmit. Then listen to #1 and dial in it's receive.

Are you picking up what I am putting down? I hope I explained that right. I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

Last edited:
Ok, in a nutshell. 1khz tone from YouTube on my phone, out loud but not too annoying. Sdr on computer, no antenna. Two radios both with little dummy loads in the ant socket. Turn everything on and let it warm up about a half hour.

Tune sdr to 27.205 mhz and both radios too. Turn on tone and key radio #1 and listen on sdr. The warble in the tone is the mismatch in frequency. Dial in the transmit in all modes which basically makes the warble go away and the sdr and phone sound the same.

Then turn down the volume on sdr and key #1 radio and listen on #2 radio. Adjust receive on #2 with tone from #1.

Then transmit tone on #2 and listen on sdr. Dial in the transmit. Then listen to #1 and dial in it's receive.

I hope I explained that right. I don't have it in front of me at the moment.
Heck yeah, makes complete sense and a really clever means of doing it. Thanks for sharing that trick.

Poor man's alignment if you own a known ON FREQUENCY radio like a newer 7300 ftdx1200 or a radio that was aligned at a shop and you are ok with. This is for a stock radio that has not been golden screwdrivered. If you are a bit off freq on a factory radio. Let radio warm up with cover on . Talk on it for 15 min. Remove top cover. Set both fine and coarse clarifier at 12 o'clock. Send a tone or steady whistle on LSB on the KNOWN good radio while listening on LSB on McKinley. Adjust L308 with a proper PLASTIC alignment tool until zero beat is heard. NO WARBLE. then listen to your voice. If you sound like you go to next step. If you are still off repeat until you are satisfied. Step 2. Send tone or whistle through McKinley and listen on KNOWN good radio and adjust RT302 which only affects Transmit frequency. Once you have zero beat and sound like you then you are finished. Pat on back and get talking.

If you insist on a step 3 please record it and put link to video here. Step 3 at your own risk. Use a Dewalt cordless drill or similar and put the tip of the bit into each slug 1 at a time. Pull trigger and go nuts. Then hook a cheater cord to the 12v cord and plug into 120ac. Turn it on and watch the smoke.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220901-143550_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-143550_Gallery.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220901-143559_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901-143559_Gallery.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20220901_145042.jpg
    Screenshot_20220901_145042.jpg
    784.3 KB · Views: 15
If you insist on a step 3 please record it and put link to video here. Step 3 at your own risk. Use a Dewalt cordless drill or similar and put the tip of the bit into each slug 1 at a time. Pull trigger and go nuts. Then hook a cheater cord to the 12v cord and plug into 120ac. Turn it on and watch the smoke.
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Probably should have the certificates of calibration to perform such a task. Not many are competent enough, you know.....
"Relax, all right? My old man is a television repairman, he’s got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it"

Jeff Spicoli

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.