• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley adjustments..??

What type and size of tool is needed to adjust the micro pods on a President McKinley? I got an alignment tool set from Ebay but the tools are too big.

What type and size of tool is needed to adjust the micro pods on a President McKinley? I got an alignment tool set from Ebay but the tools are too big.

You’re going to need to file some material to make it fit that pot. I did the same and worked out great. Tool fit like a glove after. Adjust it with the correct voltage going to the radio. For example if it’s a mobile…car running.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You’re going to need to file some material to make it fit that pot. I did the same and worked out great. Tool fit like a glove after. Adjust it with the correct voltage going to the radio. For example if it’s a mobile…car running.
What shape tool did you file down ? Using bifocals and 2 magnifying glasses I still can't tell what it takes!

Thanks so much ! I can definitely taper a flat nose tool. Just couldn't tell if it was a torx, allen or whatever. Just one more question. Do you remember if increase is CW or CCW ? I know it will cycle completely around but I really hate to go around in circles when all I want is a very slight nudge up.

Thanks so much ! I can definitely taper a flat nose tool. Just couldn't tell if it was a torx, allen or whatever. Just one more question. Do you remember if increase is CW or CCW ? I know it will cycle completely around but I really hate to go around in circles when all I want is a very slight nudge up.
I didn’t align the radio. It was on frequency. Just the power levels and modulation was set low at the factory. I just used a watt meter to get it where President wants it. If the level went down then I turned it back the other way a smidge. I know I know, not the best way to do it but it works. Gets great reports!!

I didn’t align the radio. It was on frequency. Just the power levels and modulation was set low at the factory. I just used a watt meter to get it where President wants it. If the level went down then I turned it back the other way a smidge. I know I know, not the best way to do it but it works. Gets great reports!!
I have exactly that situation. 3 watts AM and 75% modulation. I should he able to dial it up to 4 watts and 100% modulation with my meter. I know SSB is also low but I will probably just have to live with it. The nearest tech is 2 hours away and does expensive shabby work. Thanks again for your guidance.

I have exactly that situation. 3 watts AM and 75% modulation. I should he able to dial it up to 4 watts and 100% modulation with my meter. I know SSB is also low but I will probably just have to live with it. The nearest tech is 2 hours away and does expensive shabby work. Thanks again for your guidance.
You can take it up to 5w on AM and it will be fine. AMC will set AM modulation and ALC will set SSB modulation. Those 3 adjustments will make the radio come alive!!

E888F963-3B79-4A34-8E06-8B7D55C6277E.pngD1E519DC-A089-4021-9C42-EB750B76B415.pngB40D7FDB-30C1-40D1-AB2A-3843460D8EFC.png

So adjust only RT206, RT202 and RT203. You should be golden!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You can take it up to 5w on AM and it will be fine. AMC will set AM modulation and ALC will set SSB modulation. Those 3 adjustments will make the radio come alive!!

View attachment 58108View attachment 58109View attachment 58110

So adjust only RT206, RT202 and RT203. You should be golden!!
Was able to finally turn the pots. Modulation was dialed in to 100%. AM voltage was taken to 4 which is what I wanted. However beyond 4 it went downward not up to anything higher than 4. The radio does sound much better now than it did !

Thank you for providing the pic...

Here's a separate take on that but it may help answer why people are having issues with how the radio operates...

There is a "zenering effect" that occurs with the bias method used - so it's designed to profile the gate voltage so the device stays in it's class of operation.

There's nothing wrong with it, you need to be prepared for it when it engages.

It's for a problem I call "hot gate" when the gate heats up from the switching and can't cool off readily and as quickly as the rest of the device can. This makes it act like it's overheated - and can latch on and stay on - the pic below helps you understand another SEPARATE issue or method I recommended for Varactor thermal tracking on another thread...
View attachment 25251
I just bought a president mckinley off ebay. It has good recivie on both am & ssb. Mic works with ptt functions to the menu board however, it doesn't transmit my voice at all with factory mic or power mic. I tried adjusting the AMC pot but no luck. I set the talkback to see if I can hear myself and using another radio. Still I don't hear myself over the radio. I'm trying to figure out this modulation issue. Any help or advise would be great. Thanks.

I just bought a president mckinley off ebay. It has good recivie on both am & ssb. Mic works with ptt functions to the menu board however, it doesn't transmit my voice at all with factory mic or power mic. I tried adjusting the AMC pot but no luck. I set the talkback to see if I can hear myself and using another radio. Still I don't hear myself over the radio. I'm trying to figure out this modulation issue. Any help or advise would be great. Thanks.
I am going to ask a dumb question….is the mic gain turned all the way down?

Both mic gain and RF Gain was turn to max. I took a chance on buying this cb from ebay thinking it was just a quick fix buy adjusting the AMC pot. No luck though. I'm thinking it could be the crystal maybe is bad that's not allowing me to transmit. Not sure.

Both mic gain and RF Gain was turn to max. I took a chance on buying this cb from ebay thinking it was just a quick fix buy adjusting the AMC pot. No luck though. I'm thinking it could be the crystal maybe is bad that's not allowing me to transmit. Not sure.
Another thing I noticed with my presidentmckinley...every time I attemp to adjust the RF Power or RF Gain it goes back to Maximum level is that normal?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.