• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley adjustments..??

Both mic gain and RF Gain was turn to max. I took a chance on buying this cb from ebay thinking it was just a quick fix buy adjusting the AMC pot. No luck though. I'm thinking it could be the crystal maybe is bad that's not allowing me to transmit. Not sure.
One thing to try is to put it in PA mode with a speaker plugged in and try it. This will tell if it's in the audio section or not.

Reactions: whiteastro
There is a knob to the left that says push. After you make the adjustments, push and hold that button in for a few seconds to lock in your settings.
Ahh...Got it! Learned something new; thank you. However, I'm still not able to transmit over AM or SSB. I've looked over the schematics to the mckinley online, tried adjusting the ALC and AMC but still nothing. Couldn't find anything on Youtube with this problem. Not sure if this is a minor or major issue. The receive is good...I can hear the superbowl channel clear as a bell and some talking on USB and LSB. It's something with the TX.

Ok I put in PA Mode with a speaker plugged in. I hear static...I pressed the PTT and hear a popping sound but no audio.
I suspect the audio amplifier went out, or something related to it. Someone probably kicked its butt with a power mic turned up all the way. Or maybe someone botched the installation of a noise toy or echo board. Maybe you could pop the covers off and take some pictures of the insides? Somebody might be able to spot something.

Reactions: whiteastro
I suspect the audio amplifier went out, or something related to it. Someone probably kicked its butt with a power mic turned up all the way. Or maybe someone botched the installation of a noise toy or echo board. Maybe you could pop the covers off and take some pictures of the insides? Somebody might be able to spot something.
You're probably right. Well, I guess that was a loss on my part for trying to save a few bucks. Guess I'll either get another one or save up for an Anytone AT 5555 nII. Appreciate the help. 73's!

Having to do some guessing here because I don't have one of these to play with.

You've got good receive. If by that you mean you can hear other stations, your main audio amp is probably OK. Hearing static and a "popping sound" in PA mode tends to back this up. More likely it's somewhere before that.

If you or a buddy has an oscilloscope you can try tracing the audio signal from the mic jack to the input to the main audio amp to see where it dies. I'd bet someone plugged something into the mic jack they shouldn't have and killed the mic amp or blew out a trace. But as I said, I'm mostly guessing.

@ nosyaj2013 Any more status on the radio??
I played with some of the knows inside of the radio and accidentally took off frequency. Smh!! I tested with a walkie-talkie and sounds off frequency. Still no audio output when transmitting. I put it to the side for now. Went back to my Uniden 980ssb. Will continue to do more research before touching it again. Who knows by then I'll get my technicians license and get me a 10meter radio. Lol.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.