• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley internal problem with transmit.

Kristopher burt

Oct 27, 2020
Antioch, Illinois
I have a President McKinley and a new kl 503. Upon testing these units together I had been using faulty coax jumpers and didn't realize it. I had purchased the jumpers from Amazon and when I tightened the coax to the end of the radio and amp the connection electronically would open the circuit, but when I would just hand snug them the connection would be closed and working. I didn't realize that until after my problem. My problem is this. My president McKinley now only has roughly 100-300 mw. Of rf power output and max swr the radio can read. I'm reading the output from my external watt meter and cannot remember if the swr is also high on the external meter as well. I figured the final transistor was blown, but I purchased another from the online auction place that said would work for the radio. Replaced final and still doesn't work. Any ideas on what I can check or replace? The radio receives just fine and everything else works as it should. Just max swr and under half a watt with output. Any ideas or suggestions? I'm on vacation at the mouse and cannot physically check at this moment.

I have a President McKinley and a new kl 503. Upon testing these units together I had been using faulty coax jumpers and didn't realize it. I had purchased the jumpers from Amazon and when I tightened the coax to the end of the radio and amp the connection electronically would open the circuit, but when I would just hand snug them the connection would be closed and working. I didn't realize that until after my problem. My problem is this. My president McKinley now only has roughly 100-300 mw. Of rf power output and max swr the radio can read. I'm reading the output from my external watt meter and cannot remember if the swr is also high on the external meter as well. I figured the final transistor was blown, but I purchased another from the online auction place that said would work for the radio. Replaced final and still doesn't work. Any ideas on what I can check or replace? The radio receives just fine and everything else works as it should. Just max swr and under half a watt with output. Any ideas or suggestions?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.