• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley Personal Review

There is daylight through to the mic element. Now to find my glue gun...and put it back together. No sense in mess'n wit tit no mo.20200204_114703.jpg
Oh, what the hell...or in the famous words of Kinky Friedman....."Why the hell not!"

Last edited:
There is daylight through to the mic element. Now to find my glue gun...and put it back together. No sense in mess'n wit tit no mo.View attachment 34055
Oh, what the hell...or in the famous words of Kinky Friedman....."Why the hell not!"

Did you add a hole to the mic element or was there already daylight? I got mine 2 years ago and it was one of the very first models - did not have a hole through to where the mic element was located. Maybe it was a factory issue or maybe it was something that was resolved on later models! Please let me know.

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
Did you add a hole to the mic element or was there already daylight? I got mine 2 years ago and it was one of the very first models - did not have a hole through to where the mic element was located. Maybe it was a factory issue or maybe it was something that was resolved on later models! Please let me know.
Couple cracks in the louvered face, not much. Since I had it apart, took small drill bit and twisted w my fingers until through. Notice better response on srf bar graph.

Reactions: Slowmover and Rwb
It looks like that mic shell was also designed to accommodate a dynamic cartridge for use on other radios. Never throw away a bad speaker without first saving the magnet. If you want to add extra weight, I’m thinking that empty space would be ideal for placing an appropriate sized one. I also saw where someone potted a bunch of BB’s for that purpose.

kinky oughta run for office again
He's enjoying being anonymous, being a smart feller, he knows dems shot themselves in the foot. He's a Democrat, by the way. Still driving from Medena down to Keeses BBQ in the same silver Toyota 4 Runner and wandering that Bigfoot Trail over to the old Coyote Ranch, now Medena Highpoint Resort, in search of a Miller Lite.

Just to add....
I drank the Miller Lite they ceremonious leave for him in the frig one night when I was camped at the Roost. Sorry Kinky, I was thirsty.

Last edited:
He's enjoying being anonymous, being a smart feller, he knows dems shot themselves in the foot. He's a Democrat, by the way. Still driving from Medena down to Keeses BBQ in the same silver Toyota 4 Runner and wandering that Bigfoot Trail over to the old Coyote Ranch, now Medena RV, in search of a Miller Lite.
he is a cool dude

Reactions: Slowmover
You could take a couple dollars worth of quarters and tape them together and stick inside that big open hole and give'er some heft! Kinda like the SRA 198's!:D
So far....stock mic ain't purform'n so well. Got report it sounded as though was some pop'n in transmission. Figure since opened a teeniney hole the mic is real sensitive. Gotta get wiring for Road Devil to Dead President an see if it drives better. 727 Iowa tried come back but lost him. Turned tx power back up on McKinley, but no contact. It's hit or miss tonight. Still working on new breakover for lightning antennas L2. I'm sure that will improve my dx/rx. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated