• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President McKinley Personal Review

A local bought one of the wireless mics shortly after they came out. He used it with his 980. I don't know what he seen on his end, but his audio was quite nice. I was very impressed with it. It was loud and clean. One of the reasons I bought this mic, I thought I'd get similar results with my McKinley. I haven't yet.
Maybe try a Ranger SRA-198 Mic and remove the rubber dampening part so it is not noice canceling! I bet you will like the way that sounds much better!

If your "poofing" an amp it is not because your RF power and mic gain are not locked down. Your radio is not set up right, poor match between radio and amp or the user is negligent.

I've only poofed one amp in my life. Smoked a poor little Mod V from over driving it. I merely mentioned that the way the McKinley's menu is, it definitely helps prevent overdriving an amp from accidently turning the power up. I think it's a nice feature.

My Lincoln II does the same thing a bit in cold weather - however the McKinely does not! One more reason why I love the McKinley in the vehicle.

Short of doing a thermally regulated crystal oven or similar you will always get drift when you power up until the unit comes up to temp.! In college I operated out of my truck and I live in Michigan so cold for half of the year. A lot of guys would mount a wheat lamp to the SSB crystal filter. Wire it to a switch on the radio or thermally control it.

I would imagine though that a radio as modern as this prob. is fine within 5 minutes or less baring some extreme winter temps. At -2F to -30F and such you can use all the help you can get. If you want to see bad hook up a Galaxy and watch that thing drift like a feather on a windy day no matter how long it is on!

Where do you think it would be made that would make you happy? Never going to be made in USA, Germany, Switzerland etc....Vietnam or Endo China did not ask for us to come to their ocuntry and get involved in their war. They did not bomb us or threaten us we had no business being their. It is a shame so many young men had to die their for no good reason at all! Guess were most of the silica and optical glass comes from yep Vietnam! So do not buy a rifle scope or telescope since it will have glass made from Vietnam silica.
Get off the rag! Damn people ask for your opinion, not bitchn. Explain your reasons. Don't bitch cause you are short on TP. Geese.

Reactions: undertaker
I've just purchased one of these today, so I expect it to be here tomorrow or Thursday at the latest.

I believe the EU version I have has got a few more features than the US variant, but I know it's definitely got a decent black heatsink on the rear of ours.

I originally bought a CRT 9900 (Anytone 6666) but returned it for a McKinley with cash advance.

The McKinley arrived today, and sweet it is, too.

The roger beep low modulation issue would appear to be remedied, as the one on mine is set to a good level.

I need some help, though.

On low power on FM with minimum setting, I get 6W - but when I go to the minimum setting I only get around 2W PEP on SSB.

The 6W FM is just s tad too high drive for my amplifier, and the 2W PEP SSB is insufficient drive for it.

Is there any way of setting the low power level of FM & SSB independently? Or even setting the high power level.of these modes independently would be great.

Medium power settings are too high, and high power far too high at 12W and 15W for SSB & FM respectively.

Attachments

• 20210811_211218.jpg
    20210811_211218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Rwb
What version 9900 did you have?
And wondering why you returned it?
My 9900v4 is serving me well in my truck with zero issues.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

It was a V4.

The SWR readings were well out of whack compared to my calibrated meters, and the SWR high cutoff function didn't function unless the rig power was turned up to around 20W+.

As I use all my rigs at around the 4 > 7W output, the lack of SWR warning function was a problem for me.

@Handy Andy mentioned it had probably been dropped or subjected to static discharge, and based upon the fact that the rig was sent & received in just a jiffy bag envelope with little to no "bump protection", I'd say it was subjected to a drop or three en-route.

I hold Andy's electronic knowledge in high regard, so returned the 9900 as suggested before further problems surfaced.

This McKinley I recently got is a much better rig anyway, so the 9900 being defective was a blessing in disguise.

Just for the record, I'd avoid Jabber Products as I had major issues with him ignoring me despite being polite & patient. There seem to have been a good few negs left on eBay this week for this seller saying similar, too. I had to open a dispute to get him to even reply.

Not sure what's going on with him, but his business etiquette is dismal & his packing skills similar!

Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828 and Rwb

This is great, thank you.

Those trimmers (VR) look minuscule, so I'm not sure my trimmer tools will be upto the job at all.

Anyone opened one of these up to see what trimmer tools are required for the job?

Looking at this layout, would I be right in thinking that this would be the "only" one to adjust to reduce FM power at maximum setting? IE - Reduce the 20W that it's currently at down to around 7W.

Please see the arrow on the attached image.

20210812_203305.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.