• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Randy II fcc with FM

This is a really neat radio but the range on mine is not much past hanging your head out the window, at least with the factory flexible antenna from inside my pickup. On the interstate, unless it is someone right in front or behind not gonna get a reply. I am sure connected to an external antenna it would be 1000% better.

Fm has less range than am because of the capture effect of FM.

I wouldn't say FM has less range because of capture effect but I would say it has less range due to bandwidth. Having said that 11m uses quite narrow deviation so I don't think that is going to be the case either. Now I will grant you that with FM's capture effect, any perfectly readable signal will disappear completely if a slightly stronger station should key up on the same frequency.

Reactions: w9cll
Unlike other modes, most operators use FM along with some level of squelch control. The amount of squelch applied does affect your receive range, but its still a small factor compared to ones power level and antenna efficiency.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated