• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Richard NB /ANL Good or Bad ?

rftek

May 7, 2019
President Richard NB /ANL Good or Bad ?

I ordered a President Richard 10 meter radio and was wondering how good the noise blanker is with eliminating pulse type ignition noise ?

Appreciate your thoughts and experience about how well the noise blanker works on this radio.

1647049655377.png

No Tank Coils or cans to tune...
1647050169387.png

These types of setups have no adjustment - so if there is a particular type of impulse noise - this filter uses averaging to smooth the waveform - but uses inversion to remove the pulses and offers little ability to change the length or duration of the average sample to make the NB effective with any long duration pulse or short duration pulse noises - so you will have to rely on the ANL filter to provide more relief in noise reduction.

You will get white noise - and there little you can do to "tweak" the IF Strips to lessen or even recenter the Xtal lattice to suit any needs - unless you use a hot air station and can work on these SMD types.

It's similar in design to other Presidents - Bill FCC comes to mind - it only has ANL - and that too, has issues with performance under certain conditions.

Reactions: Retro CB Guy
The things got AM and an FM - so here's AM modes ANL - and it is not much...
1647115268463.png

Then the FM side, the "demodulator" works with ASQ (auto Squelch) - also looks at the 455kHz out - between the two - the AM "detector" and ANL diode including the 330K "tickler" - there is little there to provide a "tonal filter" to lower or change or even reduce the white noise prevalence the thing will have thru its speaker - you can make changes , even add parts but the things gonn'a look like h*ll once all the passive filters you'll need to add in to this line once done - to make it worth it.

1647116688710.png

The above is the "FM side" - but wanted to advise you that RF AF and RX IF - share lines between both modes. This can inject "air noise" from the signal it's awaiting to hear. This also adds another problem - remember FM when you DONT hear a signal is nothing but white noise - so the ASQ kicks in to reduce this level.

Why would this be a concern, in AM mode - FM demodulator is not used, it's muted - but not turned off - so you'll hear its noise as the AM side works, the muting is only good as the components used to "mute it" - just so you know.

Last edited:
Haven’t used mine mobile. Only as a base. Will say this. My 50-year-old Browning Golden Eagle Mark III only has a Noise Limiter and is better at quieting things than my President Richard’s ANL, NB and High Cut filters all combined.
Technology apparently stubbed its toe in this instance. ;)

Hi Riverman, Not sure why your simple ANL circuit in your Browning is so hot ? It would be interesting to see the schematic.

Hi Riverman, Not sure why your simple ANL circuit in your Browning is so hot ? It would be interesting to see the schematic.

Yep. I don't have one.
Some would venture it's quieter because the overall receive is low due to its age, but that's not the case. The Mark III hears better and is quieter than the Richard. There is a fellow in our local group about 30 miles from me. I can barely make him out on the Richard but hear him fine on the Mark III. :giggle:

Reactions: Holydvr
I guess I have to buy a older CB rig LOL I will compare the Richard to my Cobra 25 to see which one performs better and decide if its worth keeping the Richard.

I guess I have to buy a older CB rig LOL I will compare the Richard to my Cobra 25 to see which one performs better and decide if its worth keeping the Richard.

LOL
Don't get me wrong. I love my Richard. It gets great audio reports with the Echo settings at 12 with the stock mic. Also has good power. :giggle:

Reactions: Eldorado828

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned