• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Richard vs AnyTone AT-6666 Box Stock

beer30

Sep 9, 2023
I'm torn between the 2 so I'm looking for some opinions. I realize the Richard needs a jumper wire to be converted to 11 meter and a menu setting changed. Pain but I can solder. The 6666 is a simple menu "convert" from my understanding. Both will be used on AM only. In my searching the web I'm seeing some talk of the Richard needing an alignment for AM vs the 6666 seems to be good right out the box. I really like the EMG feature on the Richard as I am always on channel 16 or 19. My "local" radio shop is 2hrs one way and honestly I don't have time during business hours to go there. So I really don't want something that needs work right out the box. Jumper wire I can do, alignment or tuning that should be done with a scope no. The prices are close enough that if the 6666 is good out the box and the Richard needs work then they end up equal. I know enough to know that not all "cb techs" know wtf they are doing so I'm weary of paying one of the online shops to "tune" either one.

I'm just looking for something with a bit more power than the box stock cobra 29 that is in the truck now (19 western star) as I have had issues with other drivers in the quarry not knowing when to stfu and the loader not being able to hear me. My first instinct was go big but the hole where the radio goes doesn't have room for much, nevermind heat from a big radio in an enclosed space equaling burnt up radio. Not really looking to run new coax, power wires, and have a $1000 longhorn mounted on the dash screaming STEAL ME when I park the truck and go home every night either. The Richard or the 6666 seem to be a good option that fits and to pair with an amp in the future if I choose to go that route.

My SWR is 1.0-1.1 and when not being stepped on I have no problems with hearing others or being heard. I've made sure the antennas are grounded, was an issue when I first got in the truck. They aren't anything special just 3ft fiberglass, probably factory. Sure I could upgrade to firesticks or some of the short wilsons but at this power level would it really make much difference? Sure if I get an amp in the future then yes new coax and antennas for sure.

I'm torn between the 2 so I'm looking for some opinions. I realize the Richard needs a jumper wire to be converted to 11 meter and a menu setting changed. Pain but I can solder. The 6666 is a simple menu "convert" from my understanding. Both will be used on AM only. In my searching the web I'm seeing some talk of the Richard needing an alignment for AM vs the 6666 seems to be good right out the box. I really like the EMG feature on the Richard as I am always on channel 16 or 19. My "local" radio shop is 2hrs one way and honestly I don't have time during business hours to go there. So I really don't want something that needs work right out the box. Jumper wire I can do, alignment or tuning that should be done with a scope no. The prices are close enough that if the 6666 is good out the box and the Richard needs work then they end up equal. I know enough to know that not all "cb techs" know wtf they are doing so I'm weary of paying one of the online shops to "tune" either one.

I'm just looking for something with a bit more power than the box stock cobra 29 that is in the truck now (19 western star) as I have had issues with other drivers in the quarry not knowing when to stfu and the loader not being able to hear me. My first instinct was go big but the hole where the radio goes doesn't have room for much, nevermind heat from a big radio in an enclosed space equaling burnt up radio. Not really looking to run new coax, power wires, and have a $1000 longhorn mounted on the dash screaming STEAL ME when I park the truck and go home every night either. The Richard or the 6666 seem to be a good option that fits and to pair with an amp in the future if I choose to go that route.

My SWR is 1.0-1.1 and when not being stepped on I have no problems with hearing others or being heard. I've made sure the antennas are grounded, was an issue when I first got in the truck. They aren't anything special just 3ft fiberglass, probably factory. Sure I could upgrade to firesticks or some of the short wilsons but at this power level would it really make much difference? Sure if I get an amp in the future then yes new coax and antennas for sure.
I own both and can tell you the Richard is nowhere in the same league as the quad 6!

With the help of some awesome forum members I actually modded one of the Richard's to wake it up and even then it falls very short of the Q6 Am performance.

Add ssb to the equation and the Richard has no leg to stand on.

That's my input

A properly aliened 29 is better on AM then either one of those radios. Get a small amp.

The Stryker 447 is based on the Q6 and walks the dog with it's big Stryker audio. It can do 120% modulation cleanly with a power mic and a slight adjustment to the modulation pot. I love mine.

Stryker 447HPC2 Heavy-Duty AM Regulator High Power MOSFET 55W 10 Meter Radio Amazon product ASIN B01LXDFCO9
This power mic has an electret microphone element for loud, clean, clear audio. It pushes on the modulation limiter very nicely without making the raspy, or crunchy sound.

ARIES Premium Series 4-PIN Power Microphone for Cobra Uniden Galaxy Amazon product ASIN B00IT1IHFM

Last edited:
The Stryker 447 is based on the Q6 and walks the dog with it's big Stryker audio. It can do 120% modulation cleanly with a power mic and a slight adjustment to the modulation pot. I love mine.

Stryker 447HPC2 Heavy-Duty AM Regulator High Power MOSFET 55W 10 Meter Radio Amazon product ASIN B01LXDFCO9
This power mic has an electret microphone element for loud, clean, clear audio. It pushes on the modulation limiter very nicely without making the raspy, or crunchy sound.

ARIES Premium Series 4-PIN Power Microphone for Cobra Uniden Galaxy Amazon product ASIN B00IT1IHFM
Yes sir I agree, I own and currently run the 447hpc2 in the freightliner. I use the 636L with mine and that radio gets flowers all day long. The radio rf power stays at 12 o'clock because it just walks the dog, but if I ever want to kick the cat, just crank that dude up and let the key down begin.

It's an outstanding AM radio out of the box, the quad 6 will be right next to it with the president Richard nowhere to be found in that fight let alone a Cobra 29.
IMG_20230909_212011.gif

A properly aliened 29 is better on AM then either one of those radios. Get a small amp.
A 29 is old technology. It is basically a transmitter and a receiver. No more. The Quad 6 has better receive. and so many other options to make your communication experience better, that the 29 doesn't even come close to comparing. The 29 may have a super transmitter, but that is about it. But total communications is more than that.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.