• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Ronald vs Cobra 25

After watching the Vid.

Why would anyone want to buy the radio only to have it spend more time in the shop getting ready for first use?

This is nuts!

Cracked Heat Sink spreaders - overtightened...

Man my heart sank....

Low - Boy did you see this...?CrackedSpreaders.jpg

And also - this...
TO3PTO247.jpg

This is the size of that TO-3P and TO-247 spreader for that AM Regulator bolted onto the side panel...

TO3PTO247size.jpg

This just goes back to your other thread about the (CORRECTED) PALOMAR MAXI MOD...

So when purchasing remember the size thingy - TO-247 works - no bevels!

Although I do not like the assembly issues with this one - the front panel is SEPARATE from the Main PCB - so the Riser card issue is moot but the data communication is serial thru a ribbon cable. Little point to point wiring about the board so all communication between the two boards are thru ribbon cables.

This is constructed similarly to Smart Phone wiring.

Take it or leave it - I still stand behind my own words on these posts. I have more radios than what I will ever need. After the vid, I'm seeing the same stuff Uniden is pushing hard on the rest of us for them to say buy from us. Silly. Menu stuff. Over half the length of the Vid is A GREAT DEMO of the troubles you will have with MENU function radios. I have similar problems with the 980 - so even with more switches - the Menus' in these are limited ability with even less ability to decode and understand what is being displayed.

I'm not a big fan of beeps or echo's - they are no friends of mine. So this may again, put me in a category by myself but if this post makes people think ahead and whether they purchase this one, or save your funds into investing into something more standardized and been around for years - get what you pay for - applies to this as well.

50 watts and a 15 amp fuse, ok...

Needed to upgrade the Ceramic Heat Sink Spreaders - a quality process issue.

Heat sink "bar - like the PC-122s' U-Bar panel on the INSIDE of the radio - SIGH ...

Some things never change - and as the kid said in the Vid - you'll need to spend a lot of time reviewing and understanding this mess...

WOW...

:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
WOW!! Just WOW!!!!!!!
I don't know who this Goon is and I am ashamed to say I made it thru about 10 minutes of this video and felt seasick.

As this Boob is going thru the menu of the radio, all I could think is (from his own words at the beginning of the video) "he must be illiterate". Read the freaking manual!!!

What a train wreck! Why does he keep setting a timer? I really hope people don't pay him to wreck their new radios.

This dude has the attention span of a horny mosquito!

I'm not in the market for a new radio but my curiosity got the better of me with regard to this new rig. A quick Google search brought up this video for a review of the features and specs. A bit "long in the tooth" but very detailed. (and didn't make me sea sick)

It appears from this guys perspective that this new rig doesn't need capacitors replaced and new heat sink grease.

More reviews make for a better decision if considering this new rig.

Disclaimer: Just my opinion of course.

73's
David

Low-Boy, I'm trying to help you make a decision - when you post a link and say "After A Tune"

We have opinions, and you got them - not much to go on - so why this?

I did not post this video to tear the guy down that made it. I only posted it to show the radio and what it is all about.

Look over the posts, you'll see many saw the guy for what he did to a perfectly ordinary AM/FM radio - REPLACED CAPS - on a BRAND NEW UNIT?

Then on top of that we see Cracked Heat Sink Spreaders and an Internal and External Heat Sink - issues.

Did the kid do this? Or was it done by an overly Zealous final-assembly worker prolly' using a power driver with the torque set too high - forcing too much pressure of the spreaders too quickly - it can happen. OR was it done by the repair shop - man - these Vids are one for kids that pay a few extra $$ to ensure their radio gets the treatment and they get to view the vid later for review.

Didn't anyone notice he setup and got the radio powered up? Original factory settings - just no bird watts?

Then the cracked spreaders? Replacement of the Audio caps? This radio was working on the bench BEFORE he did this work - WTH?

Low-Boy - why are we tearing down a guy for taking a working radio and replacing parts without "MENU" functions first? So we can make the right decision - I saw something else in the video that got my attention and that was with the previous postings you ask questions regarding different devices - I'm seeing some demos and a guy tearing a radio apart - I can't help but notice these things, it's in my nature to put these things back together - that there are some stuff in each "job" I see that can be done better - made to last longer and the TECH is stuck in the middle. Whether he knew what to do, or was doing something intentionally to show the buyer why he was needed - to protect his investment - SIGH - Ok, heat up that soldering iron folks - this is going to be a long day...

I would never take a radio thru that - I let the customer make the choices based upon how it operates.

The posts I've made were never intended to tear down this guy, just the shock of seeing these assembly issues and left to guess what else happened while the camera was cut off shows me that X-Files got aXed too early - there are things out there - Trust No One. The problems this vid shows is, it demonstrates easily the difficulties of Millennial's and Old Timers have in learning to get along with each other using CAMBELLS Condensed Versions Of Radio Soup and the innate sense of trust young'uns have with those that show some smarts and a product they have that the customer is willing to pay the price the seller a$k$$$.

They want the latest and greatest - it's not always the case...

If I offended you I apologize.
:+> Andy <+:

Last edited:
All the modern day cobras aren't built like they use to be and a jeep would beat o e to death in a short time.
The Ronald already has MOSFETs in it and plus the Ronald is made by the only company who is building the best and will be the next household name in cb and export radios.
It's no contest definitely go for the Ronald or a president bill if your gonna run a 2 pill but don't waste your money on any modern day cobra they're crap

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated