• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington issues

jimmy360

Oct 29, 2021
Hello I have recapped the president Washington base station similar board as a 142gtl what works is tx with mic what doesn’t work is I get no am/ ssb power when I key up also pa doesn’t work as well Any help would be great

To start, I hope you didn't just remove all the caps at once and install the new ones that way. This tends to produce polarity errors, one or more electrolytic caps installed backwards. The faults this could cause are too many to count. Pulling them out and replacing them one at a time reduces this risk. A lot.

And if in fact you:
1)Got every cap with the polarity correct
2)Didn't accidentally "bridge" solder across two separate foil traces that are close together.

The next question would be how did it work before it was recapped?

If it had these exact faults BOTH before and after, this means it has other problems besides decades-old electrolytic caps. Had them all along.

But this is the first important question. Just what did it do and what did the radio NOT do before it was recapped?

That one is a really, really big deal.

Not so different from calling your mechanic and telling him "my car won't start". He'll start asking questions to try and pin down which parts of the engine are present and accounted for, and which are not. As in "does the dashboard light up", "do you hear a "click" turning the key".

Same process for a radio.

Last question. Does the status LED on the front panel change color when you key the mike? You didn't say.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
To start, I hope you didn't just remove all the caps at once and install the new ones that way. This tends to produce polarity errors, one or more electrolytic caps installed backwards. The faults this could cause are too many to count. Pulling them out and replacing them one at a time reduces this risk. A lot.

And if in fact you:
1)Got every cap with the polarity correct
2)Didn't accidentally "bridge" solder across two separate foil traces that are close together.

The next question would be how did it work before it was recapped?

If it had these exact faults BOTH before and after, this means it has other problems besides decades-old electrolytic caps. Had them all along.

But this is the first important question. Just what did it do and what did the radio NOT do before it was recapped?

That one is a really, really big deal.

Not so different from calling your mechanic and telling him "my car won't start". He'll start asking questions to try and pin down which parts of the engine are present and accounted for, and which are not. As in "does the dashboard light up", "do you hear a "click" turning the key".

Same process for a radio.

Last question. Does the status LED on the front panel change color when you key the mike? You didn't say.

Yes the led is green and turns red on tx, after I recapped it did work once i used my signal generator to do the anlignment that’s when it happen, all caps have right polarity

I hope you have another radio on hand you can tune to the same channel and listen for a weak transmit signal from this radio. A coax jumper plugged into the monitor radio can be used as a "sniffing" antenna. Thread the plug's shell back off the plug body over the coax at the jumper's far end. This exposes the center pin as a half-inch long "sniffing" antenna. Holding it close to the "S042P" transmit-mixer chip should let you hear a dead carrier at the very least.

If you do, the problem is downstream from that chip. And if you can't hear a carrier this way when you key the mike, the problem is upstream from that chip. The S042P is a part that almost never fails. 999 out of 1000 transmit problems will be caused by something else.

Thank you for your input I will be trying what you said ,also I do have another radio and I been trying to align it to match other radio but nothing happens .

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.