• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

President Washington noise on transmit

Lkaskel

Aug 4, 2017
Hey Gang,
I have a President Washington (858 board) that I was told has a little A/C hum on transmit. I tried a few mics and the was told the hum is still there. I put it on the bench and hooked it up to the scope. When I key on LSB the RF is almost non-existent. When I add the smallest amount of modulation the radio will then emit a small RF signal. I can see it on the scope but it is not enough to show on a modulation/watt meter. If it touch the metal case the RF signal drops to nothing. The mic is plastic.

Any thoughts?

Touching the metal case causes the rf to vanish, maybe a ground issue? Just spitballing there... pretty sure that those with more experience will be here shortly to give you a better answer that proves my answer is wrong.

Check the onboard power supply for proper voltage and amperage. Then hook up an external supply or 12v battery and compare results.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?