• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pride dx 300

BAGEBOY

Oct 28, 2014
I have a Pride Dx 300 it was change to a 4cx300y tube I been using this amp almost 6 yrs now .Today I turn it on as usual as it would warm up when I cam back and switch to operate it didn't switch on checking I found the overload at the back had tripped I have check the tube.i even replaced it with a new one and it has happen again any ideas of what could possibly be wrong

That amplifier is over 40 years old. If the high-voltage filter capacitors are original, they have failed. Seriously, if those parts are that old they should have failed ten years or more ago.

My company sells replacement power supply circuit boards for that model. The original HV boards have a design problem and will break down after the first 4 or 5 years of regular use. The one we sell is designed to last longer than that.

The low-voltage pc board underneath the small transformer also suffers wear-and-tear problems. The one we sell is an upgrade.

Typical way to locate this kind of overload issue is to start unhooking stuff. Powering it up with the tube removed, just to start.

There are two red wires coming out of the large transformer that connect to the high-voltage rectifier/filter boards. Unhooking those two wires and insulating the ends with electrical tape would be next. If it powers up this way, that's where the fault lies, most likely. And if it still trips the fuse/breaker your transformer is probably bad.

That's pretty rare in my experience.

Years ago I sold some bare pc boards to a guy who would convert the Pride to this particular tube. The socket for that tube is rare, usually more expensive than the tube that fits in it. When I asked about this, he had bought a large batch of the socket cheap. The tube would sell for around thirty bucks back then. The savings paid for the expense of replacing the socket.

Just can't remember who that was. Been at least ten years.

You really do want to hope that both transformers are okay. Nobody has those in stock any more since RF Parts ran out for good around ten years back.

Dear Nomad
This has in all.of your boards I bought them a few yr back I would have to check m.y emails. It was loose i wire on the breaker it is up and running I will monitor and keep u posted

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.