• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pride dx-300

To each his own, but for myself, I would much rather run the 250-B than 8 or 10 or 12 sweep tubes. They stopped making them years ago, and will cost you a royal mint if you have to replace them.
Yes the pride has some flaws, but it is very fixable, and if used properly will live a long life.
One thing to remember is that sweep tubes were ment to be used in TV`s not RF amps, and if abused they will die just as fast as that 250-b will.

Jeff

Reactions: SIX-SHOOTER
Here is what Chris Aka Nomad has to say about the Pride DX 300....

The DX-300 was produced for a year or two in 1977 and 1978.

Reminds me of the Pontiac Firebird TransAm of that era. A small but potent package. In the hands of an unskilled driver, it can end up wrapped around a tree. Fast!

Here's the page for manuals and diagrams.

http://www.cbtricks.com/Amp/pride/dx300/index.htm

A 30 year-old amplifier will have issues from both age and mileage. Unless someone has 'caught up' the last 30 years of maintenance, it won't be safe to drive.

It is the ultimate "low drive" amplifier. It's a good match to a tube-type CB if the carrier hasn't been turned up too high, or to a solid-state radio with ONE final transistor.

Newer radios with two finals will be too much for it unless the Pride's input circuit is altered to cut the drive level down by about half.

The power you'll see depends on several factors, especially the particular brand and type tube you use. With a stock "B" version of the tube, you should see at least 500 Watt peaks. The "R" version of the tube is meaner, but you'll need to modify the adjustment range of the Pride's 'Bias' control to keep it from running too hot. With the "R", you could see between 650 and 750 Watt peaks, depending on other factors.

Internal wiring uses "push-on" pin connectors for the wiring harness. Trouble is, they used these pin connections for the amplifier's RF-output wiring. There is a "suicide intervention" procedure included with the info on my upgrade to the HV power supply.

http://www.nomadradio.com/HDHV

The DX-300 has a couple of other 'quirks', including a zener diode in the bias circuit that's just, plain too small. But once these personality 'quirks' are taken care of, it's a potent package. Just watch that lead foot in a tight turn.

And That is a direct quote from the guy that knows these amps the best.

Jeff

I have a Pride DX 300, but the boards in it are different than any ones seen on any websites, Can anyone help me here with some information???

Some pictures of the old boards used.

Jeff

Attachments

• A_LessEffectiveApproach.jpg
    A_LessEffectiveApproach.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 334
  • ThisApproachWorksToo.jpg
    ThisApproachWorksToo.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 316
  • TheSmokingGun.jpg
    TheSmokingGun.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 203
I have had a few of the Pride DX-300, great amps if not abused.

Have had several come across the bench over the years and most had HV boards damaged.

I remember back in the 80's I put Peter Dahl transformers into one of my Pride 300's.

I sold or traded it off but it found it's way back to my bench few months ago.

Burned up bias, burned up keying circuit the list goes on.

Back up and running again and the owner would not part with it as I tried my best to get that amp back with the Peter Dahl Iron in it.

Can you post some pictures of the boards in question?
What is it not doing?

Jeff

1000171.png

Trying to figure out what the pin numbers are, and their locations on the board so I can trace the wires. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any schematics on this board.

Thanks, 73
Dave

1000171.png

Trying to figure out what the pin numbers are, and their locations on the board so I can trace the wires. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I can't find any schematics on this board.

Thanks, 73
Dave

try this site full manual with schematics and picture.

Pride DX300 Manual

Pride dx 300

Thanks for the response, but I have searched everywhere on the web only to find the newer version of this board. I think that this board is an earlier version that no one can find any information on it, But thanks anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.