• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Pride Earthquake 8x2879

catsknr

Apr 9, 2005
Las Vegas NV
I guess no one in the amplifier section knows anything so I will post this here. Heres the deal, I got this amp about 12 years ago, used it off and on until I started having problems with it 5 years ago. Tech replaced some resistors and put a matched set of 8 2879's in it, I used it about 5 times then moved and had it in storage.
Couple of months ago I pulled everything out of storage to find out that there were mice making nests in just about everything they could. Apparently it was just a recent incident as I have been checking my amps, radios, and power supplies and the worse of the group is my Earthquake. It has some chewed up wires which are no problem, but what I am worried about is the board. The little buggers pissed and crapped all over in there.
My question is, should I just salvage the caps, transformers, pills, etc ( all the salvageable stuff) and throw the rest away, or is the board still usable? I dont know if the urine on the traces ruined the board or not.
Maybe I should just put it up on fleabay and start the price at what the matched set of 2879's would cost.
Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Gary
Edit/Delete Message

Clean up the mess, i would change the relais in the amp just to be sure.

Clean the pcb with deionised water and an brush, see if the traces are not damaged on top and below the pcb.

After cleaning and reinstalling with fresh cooling paste for the transistors and an good drying of the amp, replaced relais, run an check.

Connect to an decent psu, preferred is one with currrent limiting, and slowly step by step run power in it, step by step more if you get decent output.

Put the current limitting of the psu so that wheen it goes wrong never too much current will flow.

Most components are watertight, only relias might have some goo leaked in them, don't run risks there, just replace.

Good luck,

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.