• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PRIDE EARTHQUAKE

catsknr

Apr 9, 2005
Las Vegas NV
Heres the deal, I got this amp about 12 years ago, used it off and on until I started having problems with it 5 years ago. Tech replaced some resistors and put a matched set of 8 2879's in it, I used it about 5 times then moved and had it in storage.
Couple of months ago I pulled everything out of storage to find out that there were mice making nests in just about everything they could. Apparently it was just a recent incident as I have been checking my amps, radios, and power supplies and the worse of the group is my Earthquake. It has some chewed up wires which are no problem, but what I am worried about is the board. The little buggers pissed and crapped all over in there.
My question is, should I just salvage the caps, transformers, pills, etc ( all the salvageable stuff) and throw the rest away, or is the board still usable? I dont know if the urine on the traces ruined the board or not.
Maybe I should just put it up on fleabay and start the price at what the matched set of 2879's would cost.
Any input on this would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Gary

I once had a repeater controller that had a mouse build a nest on it. Like you said, crapped and peed all over it. I washed it off using regular warm tap water and let everything sit for a couple of days to dry. Plugged it back in and everything was AOK.

Of course this board was all discrete semiconductor components. If it would have had coils or anything that could hold water or be destroyed by water, I wouldn't advise it...

A good soak in the tub with dish soap is the ticket, blow dry with air paying attention to not blow too hard around the transistors and let dry for a day or 2 in a warm dry place.

MM43 is right, water and dish soap is perfect. BUT either remove the board from the heatsink or remove the controls (toggle switches, pots, etc.) before placing it in the water. Probably a good idea to remove the relays from the board too. I have an old KitchenAid dishwasher in my shop that I use as a parts cleaner for car parts, machinery, circuit boards, whatever. Usually run electronic stuff on the delicate/china setting with NO detergent. After washing take it out, blow it off, and let air dry.

Unit 399 CB Radio homepage

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.