• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with Galaxy 959

TimberGhost

Jul 19, 2007
I have a Galaxy DX959 and it has a mod on it with toggle switches to add more frequencies and it has been cranked up inside for more wattage. It puts out 40+ watts on AM and 60+ watts on SB. My problem is that when I hit bumps it goes quiet and nothing is received. All displays are lit up but the radio won't receive or transmit. But when I turn it off and back on it starts working again. Any ideas where to start looking??

Joe

Look for a crack or bad spot on the board you can do this by taking covers off and pressing around CAREFULLY on the board with it turned on with a NON METALIC object wood plastic ETC. I seen a Cobra 148GTL do this and a YAESU HF rig the HF rig was loose soldering on the Final Transistors so that would be an easy great place to start. you can just reheat the solder on the Transistor pins on the foil side (non component side) of the board but be quick and cautious not to over heat the board or finals lso dont flow the solder creating a short if you know all this I apologize for the repeat ;)

I found the problem!! It only happens when I tighten the mounting bracket screws. When they are loosened the problem does not occur. Now I just need to find why it does this.

If it's not, solder side up, face facing you, right side of the board, touch up all the solder joints going to components mounted on the chassis. Now, don't tighten the mounting bracket so tight.

This is why, When you tighten the knobs on the bracket, it pulls the side of the radio out and it causes something to lose contact......try the above.

Jeff

musicman I am an idiot I totally over looked the part of your post there that told me exactly what my problem was. You would have saved me some work had I read the whole post. :?

Thanks for your help everyone!!

your solder problem

TimberGhost said:
I found the problem!! It only happens when I tighten the mounting bracket screws. When they are loosened the problem does not occur. Now I just need to find why it does this.

when you tighten the bracket down you are causing a solder Jointto break lose at the power regulator located on the left side solder side up.
have a good day.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.