• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

problem with palomar 300a

tallsup

May 20, 2008
having a problem with my 300a,they say it sounds real fuzzy and crackly
any buddy have any thoughts or have this problem

I would check the HV capacitors first. They are pretty cheap and simple to replace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

45, North Florida

Good point too trucker. When the hv caps are weak, you will sound sort of like you're talking through a fan. Ask others on the air if this is what they are hearing.

45, North Florida

I have a friend that had the same issue with his 300 recently. The new electrolytics solved the problem

45, North Florida

palomar

I will put 2 new ones in it,when i was just on the air a guy said it was real fuzzy sounding and a bit of a hum

Even if that is not the main problem they still need replacing after all those years.

45, North Florida

They should be 100uf 450 volt caps if I'm not mistaking. Don't forget to make sure you short them out before you touch anything. The high voltage inside these amps CAN KILL you. Keep us posted.

45, North Florida

I'm glad to hear that you got it going again. The caps are a simple and cheap fix to restore the REAL tube sound that should be coming from all these old tubers. '73!

45, North Florida

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated