• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

PROBLEM WITH ROTOR BOX DIRECTION METER.

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I had just finished putting up a tower and beam. I have a HAM IV rotor and the nice HYGAIN control box. The problem is even before getting everything up I noticed when testing that the direction meter has no needle movement. Is this a common issue with these or is it a simple fix?

I checked all connections as I said before I put it up and all was good but no meter movement as I said. I looked at the internal fuse and such. The internals of the control box look great new and no dreaded smells of burnt resistors / parts. It just a pain in the kiester not always knowing which way Im pointed.

Ive actually at times had to go out and look where the hell I was aimed a few times now I now have left it pretty much south unless I have to turn it and most of the guys I talk to are south of me anyways. I just know this is going to drive me bananas when 10 meters starts rolling again. I know there is a guy near me that has the same box and the same problem.

Has anyone out here had this issue or seen it happen?? What would I look at as the culprate to cause this? I will look for a new box but was hoping to fix this one. As I said it all works great other than the directional meter display it has absolutely no movement at all not even a sudden jump.

Since you've already confirmed physical connection is not the issue, its either the box, or more then likely the Rotor. I've had a few similar problems, ranging from none, jumpy, and intermittent, all these issues were caused by the Potentiometer in the rotor itself. Chances are pretty good the box is not the problem. Follow the link for a brief look into a rotor. Repairing a CDE/Hy-Gain/MFJ Rotator

Let me just say my past rotor repair is Rotors 4 me 0, 3 Alliance rotors, and one Ham series... Each time it was very frustrating until I bought new replacement parts... Was always the Potentiometer that went South, cleaning did no good. Is also a fellow named Norm who rebuilds rotors, Goggle will help ya there. Either way good luck on the repair.

Ever had the rotator unit apart? It MUST go back together in the proper orientation so that the spring clip on the indicator pot aligns with grooves in the underside of the bell housing. If it does not then the indicator will stay in a fixed position. Also the pot may be damaged or have a wire off of it. If you ever have to take it out pay special attention as to how it is put together.There is a wire the connects to one of the pot's mounting posts and there is a small copper washer that MUST be in place.Don't ask me how I know this. :headbang

I actually did a google search lastnight after posting this before bed and seen that it is indeed a common issue with the internal pot in the rotor itself. I also read on Eham how a few guys sent them out got them back just to put them up and have this happen AGAIN shortly after so now I guess I have to decide what its really worth to repair this considering it can possibly just happen again. :headbang is right

Aahhh! You've discovered the joys of rotors! Fun, ain't it? Oh well, there's always the 'Armstrong' rotor if you really get tired of it...
- 'Doc

Don't even consider asking the 'better half' to go turn the thing! You DO NOT want to go there.

I actually did a google search lastnight after posting this before bed and seen that it is indeed a common issue with the internal pot in the rotor itself. I also read on Eham how a few guys sent them out got them back just to put them up and have this happen AGAIN shortly after so now I guess I have to decide what its really worth to repair this considering it can possibly just happen again. :headbang is right

I've had mine for almost 30 years and have never had a problem with the indicator pot. I have broken two ring gears in that time however and replaced a broken pot in a buddies rotator unit but so far I have been lucky. (Probably should not have said that.Two weeks after bragging about the good luck I had is when the second ring gear broke. And is still broken). :angry:

Well I was talking to my wife about it and I figured I would wait until spring and deal with it. I have Arthritis so bad after my Cancer its terrible I tell ya. Ant its cold and damp here so my days of being miserable are now here unfortuneate

However what I told Kim (my wife) is I think I will buy a Yaesu I believe its a model GX-450 Rotor for a backup incase this ham IV indicator pot is going to be trouble. I guess it really isnt so bad considering I turn and watch the Smeter as far as pinpointing stations anyways.

I am now already starting to wonder what the hell I got myself into here with this beam stuff. I had it all to simple with my G5RV and Antron 99. All I wanted was to make it better and after hearing all the hype Well here I am. I guess the brightside if any is the towers up and if I get p1$$ed I can always put one of these Super Scanners up or get my Antron or Imax 2000 up on the towerIm up 140 feet now and was at 90 until this past Saturday

However what I told Kim (my wife) is I think I will buy a Yaesu I believe its a model GX-450 Rotor for a backup

Tony - you might want to think long and hard about a Yaesu rotor. There is no stateside service point for them, even under warranty, from what I understand, and the overseas shipping for if/when it does go bad will set you back more than the cost of the rotor, more'n likely.

The ham iv is a great rotor, send it to norms!

$75 bucks and your good to go!

His exchange program is the best choice, one trip up the tower!

Norm's Exclusive Rotor Exchange Service

With a warranty

NRS Warranty

Telephone
866-901-5885 (toll free)
205-982-0550

PS
There is a guy in Wisconsin that repairs them, but he sucks!

I believe that is $75 PLUS cost of parts. Just wanted to make that clear. A lot of guys think they can have it done for a flat $75.

Tony - you might want to think long and hard about a Yaesu rotor. There is no stateside service point for them, even under warranty, from what I understand, and the overseas shipping for if/when it does go bad will set you back more than the cost of the rotor, more'n likely.

That is the only reason I am holding off on a Yaesu G-800SA. I have to think about it some more. I may still get one next year when I replace the tower and rebuild my present unit as a spare. I have no problems just ordering the parts from wherever and doing the job myself.

There is a fuse inside the control box just behind the meter, its about 500ma fuse and its purpose is to protect the meter ,I would check that first if the rotor is turning also check out the pot inside the rotor there may be a flat spot where the wiper rubs on this wire wound pot.
Bob

direction box

i too have a problem with my needle on my cd/45ii box. the needle stuck slightly before, then i went off air for a bit, thus dismantling all. when i have stuck the gear back together, the needle is stuck permantly in the NE direction, but the rotator is turning fine 360. Albiet i have to look out the bathroom windown to see which direction im beaming. any more ideas ?

The Yaesu rotator's directional readout is completely different from your CD-45. The Yaesu uses a small motor in the control unit that is synced with the main drive unit. The CD-45 uses a wirewound pot inside the rotator housing. There have been issues with that pot breaking or wearing out. Basically there is a wirewound pot with a wiper connected to the top that engages the top of the rotator housing. As the bell housing turns the pot wiper moves and changes the voltage to the meter on the control unit. I believe the pot needs to be replaced. If you ever take the top off those CDE or Hygain rotators make sure that youy put it back on in the proper position so that the tabs engage the pot. If not the meter will not function properly if at all and will be stuck in a permanent random direction.

... If you ever take the top off those CDE or Hygain rotators make sure that youy put it back on in the proper position so that the tabs engage the pot. If not the meter will not function properly if at all and will be stuck in a permanent random direction.

another tip that will save you,..... before you open the top & bottom casing,...... put the entire rotor in a cardboard box and work thru the opening in the box top. unless you like chasing ball bearings :D

Reactions: 2 people

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.