• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problem with SWR

well i started cutting down the stinger today got about 1 1/2 inches off and it is worse now its a 2.1 on 1 and 2.4 on 40 and i cant get it any lower
so what i did it took my CB out and antenna off and put them in the garage :x

the swr measurements you posted at the respective channels indicate that the antenna is still too long. either you're not re-calibrating the swr meter when testing from 1 to 40 (back and forth) or there's something else going on there. if those readings are worse than when you started then you should have stopped after the first 1/4" cut, pulled it up and out as far as possile locked it down. if the swr was higher on 1 than 40 before you started cutting then you shouldn't have been cutting it in the first place.

ya i messed it all up and eys i was recalibrating the SWR meter everytime
Im gonna get a new stinger when my radio comes back from shop and have the guy do it for me
i have another question i have a strobe light bar on my back rack and 2 stobe light beacons on there alos would those interfer with the antenna??? and also would my Sirius antenna interfer???

remember this?

"Wilson 1000 in center on my pickup roof i got a SWR of 2.1 on 1 and 2.5 on 40 and the stinger is up as far as it will go so do i need a longer whip???"

it was too long back there........

remember this?

"today got about 1 1/2 inches off and it is worse now its a 2.1 on 1 and 2.4 on 40 and i cant get it any lower...."

it's still too long........put the shortest stinger of the bunch in there and give me a read........you can do this.

you want to know how much is too much to cut? sink the stinger all the way DOWN into the 1000, place your thumbnail at the point where the stinger meets the edge of the metal where it disappears into the top of the coil and then holding your thumbnail in place, pull it back out and measure the distance from your thumbnail to the end of the stinger. don't make any cuts longer than what you measure there.

when you get the antenna matched the end channels will be just near 2:1 and it may dip slightly down and back up through the middle channels (19, 20 21) when you see that it's as good as it gets. yes, the surrounding goodies could well be detracting from obtaining a better match. if the antenna were top loaded you wouldn't be having a problem with them.

chec0,
Anything near an antenna will affect it to some extent. How much it will affect the antenna, and how objectionable it is, is strictly a guess unless the antennas are fairly close to resonant in the same place (or a harmonic). The closer the antennas are to the same band/frequency the more they will affect each other.
The strobes might be more noticeable, might hear some interference if they are on. Sort of doubt it, but it's possible. The best 'cure' is distance. Also not the easiest thing to do...
- 'Doc

ok guys i thank you or your help im gonna try it again tommorow after work
and yes i do hear my strobes through the radio but i just turn squelch up a bit and its fine
so freecell what your saying is that my antenna is still to long?!?!? but how come it got better after i cut an inch off (it was 1.8 on 19) than i cut more it got worse???
so do i still need to cut more???

chec0 said:
well i started cutting down the stinger today got about 1 1/2 inches off and it is worse now its a 2.1 on 1 and 2.4 on 40 and i cant get it any lower
so what i did it took my CB out and antenna off and put them in the garage :x

I think you cut too much "1/4 inch at a time" is good that's how i do it. I would get a new whip and start over.

chec0 said:
ok guys i thank you or your help im gonna try it again tommorow after work
and yes i do hear my strobes through the radio but i just turn squelch up a bit and its fine
so freecell what your saying is that my antenna is still to long?!?!? but how come it got better after i cut an inch off (it was 1.8 on 19) than i cut more it got worse???
so do i still need to cut more???
what kind of swr meter are you using?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.