• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problems with 102" whip

dway87

Oct 14, 2006
San Angelo,Tx / Fredericksburg,Tx
A couple of days ago I bought a 102" SS whip from Radio Shack. With it I got the HD 6" spring. When I first mounted on the whip to my truck, it seemed like the RF was "skipping" every minute. So I grounded the whip to the truck. It doesn't skip any more and truckers can hear me loud and clear. But I can't hear them all too well. Is there something else I need to do? Thanks.

I took some of the ground wire from a broken cb that I had in my toolbox. I stripped the wire and tightened it between the whip and the mount, then connected the other end to the bolt of the mount. Basically I rigged it to see if that would work for now.

Yes. Disconnect that ground. If it is "skipping" then there is something loose. Maybe your mount, coax, or your radio.

Make sure the conductor inside the spring is tight. You should be able to see it if you flex the spring and look inside the coils. It's probably a piece of 1/8" or 1/4" braid.

I'll bet Beetle is right. That braid has caused many a problems for many an operator. Probably why I haven't messed with a spring in the past decade.

I took off the spring and tried to see if that would do the trick. Right now there is not a lot of activity I guess so I will try again later. I will post a pic later of my set-up and maybe yall can pin-point any problems with it. Thanks.

To spring or not to spring???

To spring or not to spring...
That is my question.I am considering the purchase of a 102" SS whip and was wondering about a spring , or not ,for SWR considerations. I believe a spring would make the antenna 106" if in fact the spring becomes part of the antenna radiator. How would that affect the SWR ? Will a 102" need to have the SWR"s adjusted or can you just hook one up and be good to go? Where should I look to get a good price on one. Will a 102 out perform a "shortened" coily antenna? And lastly, I promise, maybe I shouldn't promise, Where is the best place to mount one on a semi daycab. Of course the obvious "top middle" of the roof is out. The boss says I can put holes anywhere in the truck.
Thanx
Paul

the whip usually needs a spring to get the proper resonant length for the cb band. they are usually needed too because they are so tall you are gonna be hitting a lot of stuff. getting the proper length will help get your swr low, and yes I think any antenna needs to be checked to tune it in after install. and yes, in theory the 102" whip should outperform any coil type antennas.

It is possible to make a short extension for your 102"

1 piece of 3/4" copper tubing (same length as the spring or there abouts.)

2 1/8/ 1/2" brass bushings (will fit inside the tubing)
These also accept the 3/8" X 24 TPI threads of your whip!

Insert the bushings, one in each end of the tubing, making sure they are straight (level) and won't allow the whip to lean to one side (I HATE when that happens! :( ). Use JB Weld to secure them. Then use at least 3 rivets to make certain the bushings can't wriggle or move (the JB Weld holds pretty well, but it is best to rivet so as to make certain you have good connection at all times!). You can use this to eliminate the spring, and make the antenna as long as it needs to be! :D
Neat little project!

CWM

Thanx

Thanx guys I knew that someone would steer me straight. I will use the spring. I will however check it and make sure the "strap" inside is fastened well. I didn't mind having the spring, just didn't know if length was an issue.
Thanx
Paul

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.