• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problems with Amp

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
Ok so now I got my cable for the Relay control from my Yaesu 840 to my Ameritron and theres a problem where at 60 - 70 watts drive it will only do about 100 watts out 30 - 40 more than without the amp :shock: Now heres the kicker if I keep keying frequently its like it will wind up and do more and more up to about 225 -250 but if I let it sit or idle a few minutes then it will start out at 100 watts pep again until tubes are heated back up?? Or could this be bad capacitors or bad tubes?? Any suggestions would be helpful. I think theres 6LQ6 in it now it came with 6MJ6. What would be a better replacement the original or these 6LQ6 tubes again. The next thing is finding another set of EITHER OR of these things

well this thing needs a doctor I blew it out with air to get the dust out and it smoked and smelled funny like diode or resistors burning so I just unplugged it and will have to ship it out who the hell works on these tube amps anyone have any recomendations?

TonyV225,
I'm a bit confused, the Ameritron amplifier is having problems? If so, send it to Ameritron, they really do good work.
Not knowing anything about the '840, I would have to say that it seems there ought'a be some adjustment to the ALC settings to adjust/limit the input power to the amplifier. I think I'd look into that aspect.
As for the 6LQ6's, I don't think Ameritron has ever used them in any of their amplifiers ( or 5JM6's)?
- 'Doc

W5LZ said:
As for the 6LQ6's, I don't think Ameritron has ever used them in any of their amplifiers ( or 5JM6's)?
- 'Doc

I was wondering about that, too. Ameritrons I'm familiar with use 811s/572Bs, 8877s, and other "real" transmitting tubes.

might want to try this dude if the tubes are bad

The 6KG6/EL509 tube still made in Europe & Russia can be used as a heavy duty replacement for a 6LQ6 & many other "sweep" tubes. A 6KG6 is about 1/2" taller than a 6LQ6 so you first need to see if you have room for a conversion. The socket pin connection change is easy: Pin 3 of the 6LQ6 was the cathode while pin 9 of a 6KG6 is the cathode; move the lead formerly on pin 3 to pin 9 (not used on the 6LQ6); add a jumper from pin 3 to pin 2 on the socket. You may need to squeeze or swap the plate cap to fit the 6KG6. The pins of a 6KG6 are a little larger than the pins of a 6LQ6; however--with a used socket--the pins just fit a little tighter in the socket! In some units it may be necessary to shorten the "pi-net" coil by 1 turn or add a 100 to 200pf Silver Mica 1000V capacitor in parallel across the antenna-load capacitor to bring the "tune" & "load" capacitors into the proper tune-up positions.

Thanks for the information, Tony. I really never knew Ameritron used sweep tubes - but I never looked that closely at the AL84. The schematic looks pretty typical - using a pentode with control, screen and suppressor grids all tied together to form a triode wannabe!

Fatdude's suggestion might have merit, but you have to look at the power supply to see if it can handle anything beyond what it's designed for.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.