• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Problems with NEW RCI 2970n2..

Mine also draws the full 46 amps that my supply will deliver, not good, the finals wouldn't last long that way.
You need to have the gate voltage checked, when brought down to the properly voltage you should be able to see around 225 on SSB and run the radio with a 36 amp PS.

I just sent mine off to DTB Radio this week to have him set mine properly.
So what you're saying is that some hack has turned the bias voltage above recommend levels.

So when operated at normal settings a 30 amp fuse would suffice? Will miracles ever cease?

So what you're saying is that some hack has turned the bias voltage above recommend levels.
No...I am not saying that. I am saying; the radios are out of the box this way. Ranger knows it but they are not going to go thru every single radio that has been put on market and turn them down. But they will fix the radio if it quits working and do it under warranty.

It is also quite possible that not each and every single radio has the problem with the High Gate Voltage, but if you have to have a 60/70 amp PS to run the radio, then I would think something is not quite right...

Yea, I hear lot of different opinions and options.. I appreciate all of the feedback very much.. The radio works awesome as it is, but the high power draw is in question.. I think I will just use it as is on a 70 amp Astron and see how long it last before I blow it up.. LOL.. I will keep you posted..
:D

Update.. been running 2970n2 at full pwr for 3 days now..drawing about 48 amps at 250 w out.. so far so good.. fans come on when getting warm, shut down on time.. works great.. so far so good.. go figure.. just a pwr hog.. :laugh:
Doug

Hope it holds up for you....

I just got notice from DTB Radio, that he has re tuned mine:
Before - 300 watts, pulling 46 + amps
After - 180 to 200 watts, 30-35 amp draw (full power).

So now I can put the 40 PS back on line........

Ameritron ALS-500 Amp,

Output Power -- 500 watts PEP, 400 Watts CW

Power Supply Requirements -- requires 14 VDC at 80 amperes peak current

So I am just wondering why a 500 watt amp needs the same as a 250 watt radio?

Maybe I am thinking wrong?

Ameritron ALS-500 Amp,

Output Power -- 500 watts PEP, 400 Watts CW

Power Supply Requirements -- requires 14 VDC at 80 amperes peak current

So I am just wondering why a 500 watt amp needs the same as a 250 watt radio?

Maybe I am thinking wrong?
I on don't think you're wrong.

Hope it holds up for you....

I just got notice from DTB Radio, that he has re tuned mine:
Before - 300 watts, pulling 46 + amps
After - 180 to 200 watts, 30-35 amp draw (full power).

So now I can put the 40 PS back on line........

Yes, I am just testing, at full pwr, but hardly ever run it there on regular basis. Usually 60 percent or so.

I have questions concerning Amp draw from power supply with 2970n2.. how many amps does your draw at 200 watts out on AM and SSB? Thanks in advance :headbang

Base Station Application:
For use of the RCI-2950DX in a base station application, a recommended power supply is the Astron RS-12A or equivalent. For the RCI-2970N2, a recommended power supply is the Astron RS-50A or equivalent.
CAUTION: Please be aware some "switching power supplies" can generate noise that will get into the receiver.

this is all i could find on the ranger website for the N2 model. they claim it draws 32 amps @ full power. 73's

Base Station Application:
For use of the RCI-2950DX in a base station application, a recommended power supply is the Astron RS-12A or equivalent. For the RCI-2970N2, a recommended power supply is the Astron RS-50A or equivalent.
CAUTION: Please be aware some "switching power supplies" can generate noise that will get into the receiver.

this is from the ranger website 73's

70amp astron to run a 2970n2 at about 200 watts or little more output thats crazy.I know texas star amplifiers are one of the best sounding amps and one of the most power hungry amps there is.I use to run a texas star 350 on a 35amp power supply all day long withs no problems.I'm glad I didn't waste my money on a rci 2970n2 I would rather have a good ole texas star and a 2950 myself.

Reactions: radioreddz
RCI 2970N Sparkified

Well we just got our RCI 2970N2 from Sparky's last week.
200 watts out on SSB with 32 amps draw
40 watts AM swing to 135 with 25 amps draw max on whistle
I am more than happy to see those power settings as it will make those finals happy and will give them a long life

What I would like to know with your power turned all the way down on ssb what is the lowest power rating you get.
My low power setting is 100 watts . Way to high as I would have perferred 12 watts on low output on ssb .I can not make it look legal on low power on ssb

I agree and I have the same preference Boxcar (y):)

Cobra I have the same isssue with my older 2970 power gets turned down to far and mine sounds like its starving I can suggest installing a switch which works on the 2970 mobiles and Galaxy Saturn Turbo and RCI 2990 bases where you ad a on off switch to the brown power wire in the radio that powers the internal amplifier and you can turn it off to run the dual finals of the radio. My RCI 2970 has this aswell.

The biggest issue with the 2970n2 is the final PA section WAS being made with no feedback. This was causing severe self oscilations and drawing excessive current. Ranger is now making them with a feedback circuit and sending out the small pcb tht "bridges between the input output transformers to help cure this problem. We modified ours and were seeing about 37 amps draw and 300 or so peak output on an unmodified radio(no clip or NPC mod garbage) So thats about 500watts of consumption. Not bad when you consider the loss in efficiency and general power required for radio circuitry.

Reactions: chip3655

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated