• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ProComm Proton PT99 Base Antenna

Master Chief said:
CDX-007 said:
The V5/8 is 20' tall, the IMAX 2000 is 24' tall, ...which do you think is a real 5/8 - .64?
Which would you expect to hear better?
The V58 has a less lossy matching network than the iMAX 2000; which antenna do you think will radiate more energy?

The iMAX 2000 uses lossy coils in the base of the antenna. The tiny wire encased in fiberglass may be .64 long, but if the energy is lost in the matching network, little in equals little out.

Don't get me wrong, both antennas have their advantages and disadvantages, but the Maco V58 is a better performing antenna.

Also, an antenna hears as well as it transmits. These two parameters are concurrent. An antenna does not hear better than it transmits, or vice versa.

Here are a couple of Robalo's excellent pictures:
http://forum.worldwidedx.com/viewtopic.php?t=14247&start=0

Hey there MC,

Well I saw about a full S-unit improvement here over a new MACO V5/8 with the IMAX 2000, and at a local friend's, his V5/8 fatigued and snapped about 4 feet up the radiator so I found him a used but quite fresh IMAX 2000 for $40 and installed it in the same place, same coax, same mast, same radio, ...consistantly 1 S-unit stronger here on the IMAX 2000 than he has been for well over a year since he bought & installed the V5/8 new.

Another friend, Matt, has both an A99 and a V5/8 and there's right about 1 S-unit difference between them, mobile or base, and in every direction I've talked to him from, the V5/8 being better. They're both mounted on 20' telescoping masts, one on each side of his roof, same coax & length.
NOW, I saw TWO full S-units difference between my A99 & IMAX 2000 both in Reno and here in Northern Cali., and Stu, Novakor on this forum, will testify to it as he was one of 4 ops who all saw that 2 S-unit improvement on the IMAX 2000 which is 1 S-unit more than what I've seen repeatedly between the V5/8 and A99.

I've tested these on multiple occasions and locations and I'm convinced, match efficiency theory not withstanding, that the IMAX outperforms the V5/8, and I was NOT using any additional radials on the IMAX.
I bet it would even increase the IMAX'S performance, especially locally, to add 60* 1/4 wave guy wire radials, probably lowering it's take-off angle, and possibly allowing a better match adjustment possibly also providing better efficiency from it's matching coil with the addition of a 1/4 wave counterpoise for that .64 which SHOULD have one anyway.

I bet an IMAX 2000 would look cool with the radials from a V5/8, but you'ld have to mill off the mounting tab and use an A99 type of mounting, or just slide it down into the top of the mast with the coax protected inside the mast, and secure it with another thru-hole bolting ring. That would sure be a clean installation. A lower take-off angle would be better to Aussie land, too!!

Ok thanks. I found a 20' for $50 in one of the distributor's websites but I want to go bigger since im mounting it to the supports that hold the roof of our deck up instead of on the roof. I'll call the other guys tomorrow and see what they got. I want to get the base of the antenna atleast 25-30 feet up, but I can always mount it on the 20' pole I already have and see how it works.

Has anybody here ordered stuff from Sparky's CB shack? I sent out my order last tuesday but still havent heard anything from them. I'll give them a call tomorrow also.

if they dont have the size you want in stock ask about the price to order it . height is might so go as high as you can , but keeping it safe and secure is more important .depending on the price difference....you may want to get the tallest one they have . if you decide later to go higher you only have to buy and install a few guy wires and pull the telescopic the mast higher up . call several stores for pricing...............it can vary a lot !

sparkys is a very respected retailor on every forum ive been to . calling and asking will get you what you need to know .

i dont think sparkys sells mast so it may not be too late . :D
i think he just ordered the antenna and coax from sparkys .

i think.....there for i could be wrong . ;)

You thought right. I was going to get a new A99 from somebody local at first but they sold it before I could get it so I ordered the A99 and 100' coax from Sparky.

DXman, what do you have?

I have a 30' telescoping mast. Was thinking that if you were coming up this way sometime you could grab it.

Also, don't know if you have Lowes in your area, but here they use to carry the 30 fter's. Maybe check on line for the closest to you.

Sure, I'll be around, just send me a PM here as to when you might want to be coming up.
I forgot to mention too, that I also have a 40' telescoping mast that might even be better for you.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.