• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Programmable Oscillator for cb radio

Techno1

Feb 21, 2022
New Hampshire
I was wondering if anyone here has fooled around with the programmable oscillators. I see a youtube video where someone used one for a cobra 29 for extra channels.
Was wondering since crystals are very hard to find and cost too much if one could be programmed for say 11.4758mhz to be used to get high channels on a pll 8719?
Also will it swing enough to give 2+- kc tune for ssb.
These seem to be much cheaper than having crystals made.
The prog-osscillators are a one time program and you can set all the parameters with the program menu.

Here is a page from a company with the programmer.

Attachments

• oscillator programmer.jpg
    oscillator programmer.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

We tried those oscillators as a band crystal in tube-type receivers. Found the output waveform was rough. This raised the noise level and reduced off-channel rejection.

But when it's injected into a PLL circuit, this should clean it up completely. The module's output only serves to synchronize the PLL's VCO, and isn't injected into the signal flow.

Way later after our first experiment my idiot light came on. If I ordered the module at twice the desired crystal frequency, and divided it by two with D-type flip-flop I would have a square wave with a perfect 50/50 duty cycle.

Never got around to trying it.

Tech said the same thing, as long as the programmable thing only injects into the "pll downmix circuitry" then it will be as clean as the original. Asked them about doing a cybernet ssb with the same method and was told not recommended as the unclean signal also goes into the radios rf circuitry and messes things up radio performance wise. Unidens and galaxy ranger stuff not an issue though.

A bit vague (im just a sparky, not a tech) but can ask them for a more technical answer if you want it.

Loz!

So I have been doing some searching and reading.
See picture posted on the 4 slot programmable oscillator.
From what I read on the board it will be good for Am but not SSB or FM as you will not be able to vari/open the voicelock/clarifier to slide. Says it will not, but maybe can be used on ssb with no unlock clarifier.

Quote from the company. >also, these oscillators may not be shifted in frequency such as for clarifier or FM modulation).

Dont know if this applies to all programmable oscillators.

Anyone with better info on programmable oscillators please chime in.

Attachments

• oscillator board.jpg
    oscillator board.jpg
    364.8 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.