• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Programming software for Motorola GM300 mobile?

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
Does anyone have or know where to get the software for the Motorola GM300 radios? I don't think it's available anymore from Motorola?

Well, I located the programming software and a cable. Unfortunately, it will not recognize the USB - Serial converter in a DOS box. The software actually sees the com port OK, but it can't read the radio. Now I have to find an old computer with a serial cable and DOS to try to get this to work.

you really need to do some research on batlabs and repeater builder. You CANNOT use a USB cable in DOS.

You need the RIB and the right cable with a TRUE serial connection running in TRUE dos to program the radios. Running the dos window in the Windows operating system will not work.

I got it working with an old PC with a real serial port. I just used a cheap cable off ebay, which worked fine.

BTW, if you happen to have a modern computer with an old fashioned serial (DB9/DB25), you can get the program to work in a DOS box. You cannot get it to work in a Windows command prompt, rather you have to download a real DOS virtual machine application. There are a few free ones out that will work. But the serial port is the key.

I got it working with an old PC with a real serial port. I just used a cheap cable off ebay, which worked fine.

BTW, if you happen to have a modern computer with an old fashioned serial (DB9/DB25), you can get the program to work in a DOS box. You cannot get it to work in a Windows command prompt, rather you have to download a real DOS virtual machine application. There are a few free ones out that will work. But the serial port is the key.

can u send me a floppy disk or cd with radius gm300 software the old ibm770 that im useing will not connect to the internet the olny way im gona get this software is have someone send me a disk if anyone wants to send me a copy i will prepay shipping both ways 4 there troubles if they do adam12

Well, I located the programming software and a cable. Unfortunately, it will not recognize the USB - Serial converter in a DOS box. The software actually sees the com port OK, but it can't read the radio. Now I have to find an old computer with a serial cable and DOS to try to get this to work.

hi there u said u have a copy of gm3000 software? can u help me plz can u send me a floppy disk or cd with radius gm300 software the old ibm770 that im useing will not connect to the internet the olny way im gona get this software is have someone send me a disk if anyone wants to send me a copy i will prepay shipping both ways 4 there troubles if they do adam12

Moleculo, I was wondering if you could share the specific model of cable you purchased on eBay and the software version you used? I have the same radio and would very much like to use it on 2-meters. I've wanted to do this for a while but there are so many different methods online it confused me. Some claim you need the RIB, others say you don't. Some show simple schematics of a cable that goes right from the PC serial port to the RJ-45 with just a resistor and a diode others have many components. Some use versions of the original software others use aftermarket.

It would be nice to replicate a known method that works. I'm hoping the receiver has a good front end that is highly selective like the old Maxar and Micor crystal controlled units had. I question if the input to the front end is broadband (since it doesn't appear to need alignment after changing frequencies) or if they may use varactor diodes to electronically tune the front end to track the programmed frequency? Any help you can provide with info regarding programming would be greatly appreciated.

This is the exact cable that I purchased:

Programming Cable for Motorola Maxtrac GP88 GP300 GM300 | eBay

The programming software is fairly simple. If you have a tech bench, the alignment procedure is also included in the software. Download it, buy that cable and try it out - I think you'll be pleased. Regarding the front-end on these radios: I'm only using it on 440, but I think these radios really are pretty good. The old radios I got on ebay were a little off frequency, but it was easily solved by someone with the right equipment using the software alignment procedure.

Reactions: 1 person
BTW, I just saw all of the requests for the programming software. I'll zip it up, post it later today, and then put a link up to it from this thread.

Reactions: 1 person
With respect to the alignment procedure, is this required for a frequency change or is it only needed for cases where deviation, IF, power output, or other similar areas need to be addressed?

With respect to the alignment procedure, is this required for a frequency change or is it only needed for cases where deviation, IF, power output, or other similar areas need to be addressed?

The latter.

And I haven't forgotten about the software - I'll get it posted soon.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.