1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

PROGRESS OF BOOTY-PLANE VERSION 2

Discussion in 'Home Brew' started by BOOTY MONSTER, Oct 9, 2010.

1. "1. what made you decide to do the coil thing instead of the tuning ring like the maco V5/8 has?
    did you find the coil has less loss?"

A.
    i don't have another antenna to compare or say that a ring or coil tuning system has more or less loss when compared to each other . from what i read it seems that the loss is detectable by instruments , but a human ear would be hard pressed to notice any difference . i originally went with the maco tuning ring because it looked simple and easy and i couldn't really think of a way to make a heavy duty coil like i wanted . i was in Home Depot or Lowes and noticed how stiff copper tubing is and thought it would work . my bro-in-law is in HVAC so i asked if he had 6 ft of leftover smaller diameter copper tubing and he gave me probally half of a new roll , LOL . i thought it would look pretty cool and would be very stiff . it also is a smaller looking tuning method . my landlord didnt like the four full 113 1/2 inch 1/4 wave ground elements spreading out across the house (thats why i cut/changed them into eight 1/8 wave ground elements) so i thought loosing the ring contributed to reducing its footprint in the sky . it also give me the chance to play with a different tuning method ;) .

maybe next time i move i can change the eight 1/8ths to eight 1/4 wl ground elements both horz and sloped :)

"2. it looks as though this antenna will be insulated from its support structure due to the nature of the materials used.
    is this true?"

A.
    yes it will , but its simply a matter of letting the mast slide up to the bottom of the plate to have the mast become part of the antenna , or using earth ground . its two pieces of 5/4 (1 inch) solid plastic decking 4 ft long . its VERY strong , VERY stiff and WILL NOT ROTT . one piece would have been strong enough i think , but i like to over build stuff ...........

"3. will you be using a choke balun at the feedpoint?"

A.
    yes i will be using a air core coax choke at the feedpoint .

2. MrSuburban

MrSuburban Guest

Booty, You asked for suggestions, I only have one, either stop smoking or start working out, good lord man sounds like your gonna croak in the video.

3. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

:LOL: Now that's funny, I don't care who you are.

4. i dont do tobacco , and working out is against my religion .

5. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Now I can appreciate that - man of conscience.

6. mackmobile43

mackmobile43 Jock Supporter

Don't you mean a man of conviction?;)

7. you say what about my convictions ????

i was innocent ! i swear !!!!! ;)

8. HomerBB

HomerBB Sr. Member

Well, BM, I tried to say conscience, but Mack wouldn't let well enough alone . . .:glare:

9. i might have to ask robb to drop the bann hammer on him !!!!

10. kor b

kor b Member

Walking would go a long way. Just don't think of it as working out.

11. i already have to walk to the kitchen . how much more than that do i need to do ?

12. Robb

Robb Yup

Is it working yet?
    D00d; got my beam up and can give you a call and a DX report.
    It might sprout branches . . .