• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Protecting it from the sun

DragoSapien

KF5AEJ
Dec 28, 2008
Ft.Stockton, Tx.
How can u protect your radio system from a solar storm. Would we really know when one is coming. I know we get warnings from ARRL and NOAA, but I would like to be more prepared. Can you put something in-line, like a surge protect or something. How exactly dose a solar storm attack your radio equipment.

You need to put the entire thing in a Mu metal box. Best to burry it a couple feet down...

That's why I buy two of everything.

Me likey solar storm, make radio talk long way.
Rich

Don't confuse a solar storm with normal ionospheric charging.A solar storm generally causes a radio blackout, at least on HF. VHF and UHF may be enhanced via aurora propagation but is often unintelligible. Real eerie listening to a busy band when one hits and within minutes the band is completely dead. :eek:

How can u protect your radio system from a solar storm. Would we really know when one is coming. I know we get warnings from ARRL and NOAA, but I would like to be more prepared. Can you put something in-line, like a surge protect or something. How exactly dose a solar storm attack your radio equipment.

Generally you do not need to worry. We haven't had a solar storm strong enough yet to wipe a piece of radio gear here on Earth. Space based systems have been creamed a few times however. If you are worried about it then install surge protectors on the powerline feeding your gear.That is the area of most concern. Also disconnect the antenna when you are not using it.

Don't confuse a solar storm with normal ionospheric charging.A solar storm generally causes a radio blackout, at least on HF. VHF and UHF may be enhanced via aurora propagation but is often unintelligible. Real eerie listening to a busy band when one hits and within minutes the band is completely dead. :eek:
I know, but it is better than a dead sun like it has been. And you can point your 2 meter north and work som CW.
Rich

Here a few years ago we had some fantastic aurora happening on 6m and 2m. The 6m SSB signals sounded like they were under water and the CW was quite raspy. On 2m, SSB was useless and CW sounded like a raw unfiltered AC buzz (ever hear an old spark transmitter?) making copy really quite hard. I turned the radios off and went outside to watch the light show in the sky. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.