• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Putting on PL259 Ends on LMR400

I use a 325 watt gun with a BIG tip. I also have an 80 watt iron used for making stained glass window panels but I usually use the big gun since I know where it is and it heats faster. This reminds me that I need to get more tips for it.

Lowe's sells the 80 watt stained glass model with the other soldering stuff. The tip that comes with it is excellent for PL-259s.

Remember, it takes longer to warm up AND to cool down.

My bad. LOL I meant that I need to get more tips for the large gun. My brain was thinking one thing while my fingers were typing something else. You are correct however in that the 80 watt iron tip is indeed great for soldering PL-259's.

I have been thinking about switching to crimp on connectors myself.
I must say I was expecting a backlash against using solder/crimp connectors from old timers like yourself! As I said previously I wouldn't use all crimp connectors if that's what you are implying.

but I would still solder the center pin for any outdoor uses

Absolutely! That's the only way it should be done when using crimp type connectors whether indoors or out. Solder the tip and crimp the shield. I believe this gives you the best of both worlds, a reliable soldered center conductor, and a strong crimp around the coax shield. And just like any mechanic or craftsman would say, use the right tools if you want the job done right.
getPart

Reactions: Marconi
I must say I was expecting a backlash against using solder/crimp connectors from old timers like yourself!

Fooled you didn't I? :p Hey even old dogs can learn new tricks if the new trick makes sense and is easier on the eyes. :)

Absolutely! That's the only way it should be done when using crimp type connectors whether indoors or out. Solder the tip and crimp the shield. I believe this gives you the best of both worlds, a reliable soldered center conductor, and a strong crimp around the coax shield. And just like any mechanic or craftsman would say, use the right tools if you want the job done right.
getPart

I hear you can get a good reliable crimp on the center connector without soldering but even tho I am ready to start using crimp connectors I am not ready to give up my soldering of the center pin. There is just so much area available for the shield it makes crimping a non-issue as far as connectivity goes but the center pin is a different animal. Besides I am stubborn. :D

Reactions: Marconi
Any recommendations on a site with instructions on the right/best/accepted/whatever way to solder connectors?

I've seen multiple ways to do it and some seem to be a bit sketchy to me.

PS: I've heard good things about the new crimp stuff but can't justify investing in specialized equipment for my use.

For all I have seen and read the biggest issue by far is to make sure you use the proper tool to install the connectors. The dies need to be the proper size for the specific connector and not all connectors are equal. The ratcheting type installation tool is the best from what I understand as it allows you to REALLY clamp down on the connector without damage yet assuring a good connection.

I hear you can get a good reliable crimp on the center connector without soldering but even tho I am ready to start using crimp connectors I am not ready to give up my soldering of the center pin. There is just so much area available for the shield it makes crimping a non-issue as far as connectivity goes but the center pin is a different animal. Besides I am stubborn. :D
I have only seen cheaply made all crimp connectors and tried them years ago. These ones were made of tin and you could easily puncture the center pin.

I would be interested in seeing better quality ones, but like you I'm stubborn about soldering the center pin.

Dx engineering has real nice crimping kits with ratcheting crimpers and multiple dies but there connectors are a bit pricey.

Here are the time microwave crimp on ones. They are N-male, but you get the idea. And yes you do need the proper crimper to put these on. One of these also helps with making ends for lmr400. Andrew coax block tool for fsj4 and lmr400.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    913.1 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    977.4 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    794.6 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg