• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Q-rating

2DX727

Two questions:

1. What is "Q" (I have an idea, but would like a specific definition)?

2. And, is it possible to calculate "Q" with a formula using the known physical measurements of an antenna, or is some sort of measuring device required (like finding the SWR)?

RCI-2950/GalaxyDX99V/TS667V/LMR-240/LiveWire Coil</p>

1. Q factor is a measure to describe the "Quality" of the circuit.

2. There are a couple different ways to measure Q factor. the ARRL Antenna book uses:

Center frequency X change in reactance for a given change in frequency / 2 X Resistance at the Center frequency X the change in frequency.

The other formula I've seen is:

Center Frequency / upper cutoff frequency - lower cutoff frequency. Cutoff Frequency is defined as the frequency at which the circuit output is reduced by -3db.

So I guess the answer is that it does take some precise measurements to determine the antenna Q factor. There are computer modeling programs that can figure it out for you based on physical dimensions.

MOleculo

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.