• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

QT-60/Q5N2 Front Panel Keys Backlight Mod

Not attempting to be ignorant. But wasn't it orange stock? I don't own one so I'm not following what changed. Is it the buttons?

Last edited:
The radio as it comes from the factory has no back light for the buttons, something many users would like to have.
This is two examples of how the buttons can be illuminated.
There is another thread were this was talked about somewhere here.

Jeff

I thought it was stupid and lazy of them, to not backlight the keys. In the first version, the Q5N, there is a light pipe. So, they had it in mind, but chose not to do it. In the new version, there is no light pipe. I cut away the bottom of the display frame, to illuminate the bottom keys and bent the left side up to light the freq and band keys. I may add a light pipe or a reflector to make them more bright than they are.

I have not seen anyone do this, before I did, so I put it out here for people to see. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: Eldorado828
I thought it was stupid and lazy of them, to not backlight the keys. In the first version, the Q5N, there is a light pipe. So, they had it in mind, but chose not to do it. In the new version, there is no light pipe. I cut away the bottom of the display frame, to illuminate the bottom keys and bent the left side up to light the freq and band keys. I may add a light pipe or a reflector to make them more bright than they are.

I have not seen anyone do this, before I did, so I put it out here for people to see. Nothing more, nothing less.
I'm with you now. Yes sir, it isn't a big bother for me but I also wondered why they didn't as well. It wouldn't have taken much but they decided to not spend a few extra dollars or maybe even cents.

Now looking again at your original post I see there is quite a bit of light going through the keys and it looks good.

I guess we can't have it all can we!

I'm with you now. Yes sir, it isn't a big bother for me but I also wondered why they didn't as well. It wouldn't have taken much but they decided to not spend a few extra dollars or maybe even cents.

Now looking again at your original post I see there is quite a bit of light going through the keys and it looks good.

I guess we can't have it all can we!
It actually looks better in person.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.