• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quality Sound

Big Daddy

Aug 10, 2014
I have listen to some radio that have that DJ sound like fm radio. Clear high quality sound. How do they get that?

It's usually a ham rig running a studio style mic from Sweetwater Sound into a mixer and rack gear that cost even more money. And they do all this to talk on 11m. Even better yet usually 3 out of 10 actually sound good, the rest have a nasel monotone drone sound.

Reactions: Big Daddy
It's usually a ham rig running a studio style mic from Sweetwater Sound into a mixer and rack gear that cost even more money. And they do all this to talk on 11m. Even better yet usually 3 out of 10 actually sound good, the rest have a nasel monotone drone sound.
Only if they neglected to widen up the response in the radio by modding the audio circuit . . .

You know you got a big radio when you squish folks with the sound of nothing. You don't do that with 2W swinging 16.

It's usually a ham rig running a studio style mic from Sweetwater Sound into a mixer and rack gear that cost even more money. And they do all this to talk on 11m.

Bob Heil uses a £120 Alesis Mixer in his shack. In the following video he mentions using a $50 Behringer mixer.

Start watching from about 44 minutes. Lasts about 20 minutes.

Really rich sounding audio does not require a lot of money and a rack full of gear. It just requires some knowledge and a little bit of "techpertise". People that spend thousands and load up an equipment rack lack both. It is amazing what can be done with the proper microphone, a little bit of EQ, and a small amount of compression. Modern ham rigs contain both an EQ and a compressor however most people have no idea how to set them up for nice audio and simply strive to be loud or punchy.

The video I posted shows what you should be aiming for. I think its about 50 minutes in or thereabouts.

Get a simple non modified 148.Buy a mic compressor eq. You'll need a scope and a way to sample your over the air audio in real time
Under $500 and you can begin hifi. Most radio operators are clueless on what makes AM sound good. Start cheap and get your learn on.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
The video I posted shows what you should be aiming for. I think its about 50 minutes in or thereabouts.
Good info I have some studio mics and some good mixers here to try some of things Bob talks about Thanks for sharing that with me.

Experiment and have fun that is what it's all about. I need to work on my receive audio. Some would say I talk more than I listen. LOL That is one thing no body seems to do Nice speaker set-up to make to make incoming audio sound great.shack1.JPG shack2.JPG

Ha! Thanks for reply. Did you come out of the line out or the master out, is voltage the same or one higher than the other? And you are correct experimenting is also one of the high lights of operating.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated