• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Quansheng UV K5

Got the two Radtel radios today. Should have time to install the new firmware on them, load up my programmed channels and see how they work.

Got the two Radtel radios today. Should have time to install the new firmware on them, load up my programmed channels and see how they work.
Unless there is a reason to update the firmware I would use them as they are. The ONLY benefit I have seen so far is an improved AM Airband receive, the update improves the ACG response.

Unless there is a reason to update the firmware I would use them as they are. The ONLY benefit I have seen so far is an improved AM Airband receive, the update improves the ACG response.
The EGZumer firmware has a LOT of features that are useful. The ability to see both the channel name and frequency, 18-1300mhz reception with AM and SSB, battery voltage calibration, TX audio level, microphone adjustment, spectrum analyzer, and more settings to make using the radio easier.

Reactions: USXDriver
The EGZumer firmware has a LOT of features that are useful. The ability to see both the channel name and frequency, 18-1300mhz reception with AM and SSB, battery voltage calibration, TX audio level, microphone adjustment, spectrum analyzer, and more settings to make using the radio easier.
Yes, it adds a lot but the hardware is not there for most of it but hell it's worth a try.

Edit: Downloaded and played around with it.

Last edited:
As I type this, I am using my Quansheng K6 with the egzumer firmware, to listen to local nets on 50.130 USB and 50.400 AM. I use a telescoping whip that is marketed for 27 mHz on eBay, and it receives remarkably well. Not bad for a total investment for under $50.

Reactions: AudioShockwav
Yeah, it's not a bad little radio. Had my XYL give me some audio reports talking on the local repeater. Said the audio was loud enough and clear. I just wish the batteries (with belt clips) were a bit cheaper. But, it's easy enough to swap the clips between batteries.

Fyi, rigs I use now include the Mizuho MX range, Tokyo Hy-Power HT750, Dragon/Albrecht SS201 / AE2990AFS, uSDX, Xiegu X6100, etc ...

I have the Cherokee Am/SSB handheld, but only have the Cig. lighter adapter. I'm not hunting for it all the time, but I'd love to run into some AA battery cases so I'm not trapped to the car.

Reactions: Pez
Weren't you poo pooing them earlier?
Yes I did some what, and to a certain extent I still am. If you take the FW upgrade out of the equation they are very poor radios compared to other Chinese variations. It's my opinion that Baofeng is the bottom of the barrel with the Quansheng K5 only slightly better. There is some proof out there that Quansheng is a Baofeng company but I am still on the fence there. I currently have eighteen different Chinese radios with no two being the same, there are some really good ones, Wouxun being near the top, and some really bad ones like Zastone.

Experimentation is fun to do and this is the only redeeming value of the K5!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.