• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about ham

silent463

Aug 14, 2012
OK so I'm just getting n to ham wat do I need to do to be able to operate one. I know I have to take a test but wen I do take it is it mandatory to take classes or can I just take the tests

You have to aquire the knowledge to answer the questions on the test. It doesn't make any difference how you get that knowledge, classes, books, internet, whatever, just so long as you can answer the questions. No, you don't have to take a class. Although, that's the easiest way sometimes.
Once you get that out of the way, then you need to learn to use the radio you get. That means read the manual and understand what it's telling you. most radios are not all that simple anymore. If it has bells-n-whistles then you gotta learn to 'play' those things, you know? It isn't impossible by any means though. When all else fails, read the instructions.
It's a good idea to listen to what's going on and -how- it's being done. Then you'll have some idea of how to go about stuff. Everybody starts of not knowing how to do things so don't think that it's just you. If you don't know what or how to do something, ask. Everybody goes through the same thing so just give it a shot.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Everybody starts of not knowing how to do things so don't think that it's just you. If you don't know what or how to do something, ask. Everybody goes through the same thing so just give it a shot.
Good luck.
- 'Doc

Boy aint that the truth. I remember when I bought my very first radio. I didn't have a clue what any of the knobs did. When I learned what SWR was, I thought it was adjusted by the SWR knob, lol. But it is a great hobby and you can continue to learn new things no matter how long you are at it. Read manuals and ask questions. There are many people here whose brains you can pick for info. I don't have my ticket yet either. But I'm learning and studying. I got my little work bench, now, down in the cellar. I've been starting to get i nto replacing components on the PC board, and repairing some of my radios. Sometime you'll be doing the same.

Welcome to the forum and to the radio hobby.

oh wait you meant ham radio?:whistle::love:so sorry.....lol

c7504d2d.jpg

Reactions: 5 people
Well I'm a CB guy lol I've been running a CB about 12 years so I mean I guess ill look nto it I just wanna b able to pass the test lol

Well I'm a CB guy lol I've been running a CB about 12 years so I mean I guess ill look nto it I just wanna b able to pass the test lol

Most of us here were all "CB" guys, Some have moved on and others still flip to 11 meter for some good DX or flap of the lips..
Myself I have been enjoying 20 meters, that is where the DX action is for right now..

Robb posted this http://www.qrz.com/ht/ I studied a few hrs a nite and in no time I was ready for my general test and passed with no problems. If you have some knowledge about radio's it shouldnt be a issue just take your time read and study..
You can check here Find an Amateur Radio License Exam in Your Area for a testing site near you and good luck\

I found someone that's a be but he said its goin to cost me about 15 for the test to process it n 13 for a study guide

Just understand that testing fee is a one time thingy, the license term is 10 years before you have to renew it. The renewal is free. That's a bargain.
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.