• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Question about license

Highlander_821

Amour d'Ecosse
Apr 2, 2005
Central IL
So if I am at a friend's house who is a Tech class ham, and I have a General class lic., can he operate his HF set on the General class band segments on HF as long as I am there? If so, whose call would he use? I've pored through Part 97, and I can't make sense of it with respect to this rule.

Would he essentially be a third party operating his equipment under my license?

I THINK ( a dangerous endeavor), you could do it this way. Since YOU are at HIS house, he would identify as (using ficticious calls as an example--I don't mean to use someone else's---) N5XXX/W5ETR which indicates (in case someone looks it up) that the FIRST station (tech) is operating the station of a higher class station who is present with him. Same if HE were at YOUR house. It indicates that there is someone there present that holds the privileges of the particular frequency. OR, he can just say, "This is W5ETR with N5XXX at the mike". (????????) This would indicate that the Tech is AT the W5, operating HIS equipment???????

NOW I ain't so sure............................................... now that you mention it!:glare::D

CWM

CW, you are correct. the tech would identify his station first followed by the call of the higher class license.
Ed
KC0PZE

Actually, the operator's call follows the station call sign. And while at the lower class licensee's station you are limited to his privileges, it's his station license, right? You can get around this by changing the ownership of the station, but when you do that and want to use the privileges of the higher class license, that higher class call sign becomes the station license and would only be followed by the lower class licensee's call when he is operating 'your' station. Confused yet? That's how it works though.
- 'Doc

When you say change the ownership of the station, are you saying that I would have to do something like, "Say, Rich, can I buy all this radio equipment sitting here in your living room and all the antennas and microphones for one dollar?" And then hand him a dollar bill if he agrees to that price, now it is my station, and I can transmit on 80 meters for an hour or so, then sell it all back to Rich for a dollar?

I found this in my "look whos talking" book:

If you let another amateur with a higher class license than yours control your station,he or she may use any operating privileges allowed by higher class lincense. They must follow the proper station id procedures. On the other hand,if you are the control operator at the station of another amateur who has higher class of license than yours ,you can only use the privileges allowed by your license.

Hope this helps,just use proper ID as per CW morse.

Now I'm more confused than ever. Maybe I need to ask the FCC.

I thought that as long as the higher class license holder is physically present at the control point, the lower class licensee could use the equipment and operate on bands that the higher class lic. has privileges on.

I didn't think it would matter whose equipment it is, just that the responsibility for the communications is on the higher class licensee, and that the higher class licensee's callsign must be used.

I thought that as long as the higher class license holder is physically present at the control point, the lower class licensee could use the equipment and operate on bands that the higher class lic. has privileges on.

This is correct, as long as the higher class licensee is the control op.

What ever the Operating privileges of the control Op are, can be used by ANYONE, even a non License holder, for example, a school student with no licenese, can work HF if the control lic holder has Privileges in that band.

It is the control op`s responsibility to make sure all rules are followed.
That is why the "control operator " must be present, he or she must be there as to have "physical control" of the station so as to be able to stop transmiting if the rules are broken.

It does not matter whose equipment it is, yours, his, or belonging to ARRL headquarters.

So Yes, if you go to your friends house, and ID as the control op, with your call sign, he can use the same bands, modes and so on as you have as long as you are present to act as the control op.
You must still ID as the control op every ten min, just as you do when you are using the radio.

This is WB6*** controlling

Hand him/her the mic, let them talk, at 10 min intervals, or the end of the QSO, you ID......

this is WB6*** controlling

This ID`s YOU as the control op, and tells everyone that YOU are responsible for the station control.

Jeff

I found this in my "look whos talking" book:

If you let another amateur with a higher class license than yours control your station,he or she may use any operating privileges allowed by higher class lincense. They must follow the proper station id procedures. On the other hand,if you are the control operator at the station of another amateur who has higher class of license than yours ,you can only use the privileges allowed by your license.

The above is speaking about a lower licensed operator being designated as the control operator of another station. In that case he, as the control operator can only use his/her designated privileges . If a higher licensed operator is present as the control operator then the lower licensed operator can use the higher privs. using the proper ID.

Last edited:
Thanks Jeff. One more point, though: As the higher class licensee, and being present at the control point, does it actually have to be ME identifying my callsign as control op, or can my friend do that as long as I am there and authorize him to perform the identification?

i.e "This is N9xxx with KB9zzz at the mic, N9xxx is here at the control point of this station" with N9xxx as the General, KB9zzz is the Tech.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.